Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 : Restrict/Disable Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hi all,

I use Mozzilla Firefox for my web browsing and was wondering if there is a way I can disable/restrict Internet Explorer?

I am asking this as I have attempted one suggested method (using a proxy server for your LAN settings with an address of 0.0.0.0 via port 80), however this method removed my ability to download and install Microsoft & Windows updates. Also, whilst I cannot be certain of this, I have a feeling that this technique was responsible for the loss of my ability to stream live radio over the internet (I could not find any other settings that would have caused this to happen).

I am using Kaspersky Pure 3.0 for my resident anti virus and could make use of "application control" to lock IE down completey but do not know if there are any services, applcations etc that rely on IE to function properly or whether tha is going to cause more problems than it solves.

Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful in attempting to restrict what I view as one big unnecessary security hole on my pc.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Edited by Agent_Orange, 14 August 2014 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

If this is the same computer being tended to HERE    it would be a good idea to leave the PC with no changes until nasdaq has finished.

In fact with the experience he has, the better person to ask this question would be nasdaq

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#3 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hi Condobloke - thanks for taking the time to reply.

I shall do as you suggest and wait for nasdaq to cast his expert eyes over the reports I have provided. 

I have not made any changes at all since my reply was sent earlier today - I have simply left the pc idle (have not even restarted it)  with no internet connection (using my mothers pc for now).

Thanks again for you help.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:53 AM

All cool.

Just as a matter of interest however, I also use Firefox as my browser, and have a serious dislike for IE.

After quite a few years of attempting to get rid of/disable/etc etc IE .....I have come to the conclusion that I am far better off doing what i do now......Keep IE fully updated, and never open the rotten thing.

I also disable ANY addons in IE.

At one point I installed Linux (which uses whatever browser you like as long as its not IE)......and had a ball !

Truly is a brilliant system, and although there is still a need for an AV system, I found that I was not constantly looking over my shoulder for the next threat to take me out !!

However, I did run out of patience "fitting" Linux to my tastes/needs etc etc, so I am currently using win 7 again.

But.....Firefox. with a few well chosen "addons" to suit both what I do and my accumulated habits.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

W.C. 4th June 1940

#5 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

I hear you mate (RE : Linux), I was considering giving Ubuntu a go (after spending nearly $3k on a pc I don't have the money to go and buy a Mac).

For me, the issue with Windows is the amount of time that you need to invest into researching, implementing & staying up to date with security techniques and measures to protect your pc and your privacy. So many different ways that your pc can be compromised I don't think I have any hope of getting myself across all of them, and therefore be in a position to avoid or deal with them. 

As far as IE is concerned  - if I can get away with restricting it in some way via Kasperky's Application Control (there are a lot of options) or another method, and not have to pay a price for it (i.e lose the ability to download Windows updates),  I will do it.

I am curious to know how well you adjusted to the Linux operating system, I mean - was it difficult to learn? 

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

This is probably getting a bit off topic....however ....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532111/best-puppy-for-video/

I noticed from another post that you spend a bit of time involved in video etc...

A chat with NickAu1 will bring you up to date with Linux......and he is a fellow Aussie.

So....to answer your question....No....not at all difficult to learn...in fact quite simple and straightforward....just approach it with an open mind (forget all the windows crap !)

Edited by Condobloke, 15 August 2014 - 04:56 PM.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

W.C. 4th June 1940

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

and....I am currently toying with installing THIS alongside Win 7 .The latest version now supports both Google's Chrome and Chromium web browsers.

No need to partition the drive....just install it....play with it.....if you don't like it, delete it.

As always, have a restore point in the appropriate spot.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

W.C. 4th June 1940

#8 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hello Agent_Orange!

Check out THIS guide, especially the "Turn off Internet Explorer" part. ;)

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 15 August 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#9 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

To Pocket Pocket & Condobloke, thanks to you both for your suggestions - I will take a look at each when I have the issue with my pc sorted (I thought it was sorted but it seems that the issues have come straight back - it's doing my head in).

Edited by Agent_Orange, 15 August 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#10 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

@Pocket Pocket : Just tried the link that you provided in order to restrict/disable IE (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-turn-internet-explorer-off).

I used the second method (turn off IE)

So far so I have not experienced any problems (I am not suggesting that I will not have any problems - I just have not come across any yet) I am still able to download Windows & Microsoft updates as well as listen to live radio streaming.

So thank you for your helpful reply to my post!

Edited by Agent_Orange, 15 August 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Frankly...you should not be fiddling with your system until your malware topic is closed.  I just checked and I see that it has been closed and considered resolved.

Just to ensure that there is no misunderstanding...nasdaq's suggestion to install/run FRST if problems arise...only applies to the MRL forum.  No malware logs are to be posted in any forum other than the Am I Infected forum and the Malware Removal Logs forum.  Malware issues are investigated/resolved in those two forums only.

Thanks, good luck :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2014 - 08:25 AM.

#12 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

No problem Louis, message received and understood.

With thanks to nasdaq for his assistance I am hoping to stay away from the Malware Removal forum for a while!

Apart from one entry that AdwCleaner removed, my machine was not acually infected.

The problems that I was experiencing were of my own doing in that when I installed Kasperky Pure 3.0 I changed the default option for Encrypted Connection Scan from "Scan encrypted connections if Parental Control is enabled" to "Always scan encrypted connections".

That one single change resulted in Firefox doing some weird things - messages about untrusted connections, fresh install upon restarting my pc,not saving my preferences, starting up with 4 tabs as well as Kaspersky Trafiic Monitor popping it's head up to tell me that it cannot g/tee the security of connections..........one click of the mouse..........*head in his hands*.

So, a suggestion for anyone using Kaspersky Pure as their resident Anti Virus : Do not to alter the default setting for "Encrypted Connection Scan" unless you know what you are doing, need to for some reason or both.

Agent_Orange

Edited by Agent_Orange, 17 August 2014 - 07:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users