Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio apps.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 altonius

altonius

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

I just reinstalled Lubuntu 12.04 after trying 14.04. This little netbook couldn't handle it.

Anyway, I installed Skype and I can't get any sound. Have tried PulseAudio and Alsamixer: lucked out both times.

I am getting sound in Flash videos etc., so I know the hardware is working.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Would appreciate any info, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:19 AM

You may need to check your drivers to see if there's another for your computer. 

Use the Driver Manager for this, should be under Administration. 

If you have Intel & NVIDIA graphics combined, the Bumblebee package may help, this is in your Software Manager. There may also be drivers in the Driver Manager that will help also. 

If you have an AMD graphics card, check the drivers as above. You'll have to provide password. The "fglrx" may be needed. Not the one that says "fglrx-updates". 

See what you find there, hopefully this will solve things.  :thumbup2:

Best of Luck,

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 August 2014 - 01:19 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hey Cat. I have neither Driver Manager nor Administration functions in my system. Nor do I have Bumblebee in the Package Manager. Thanks anyway.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

So would 14.04 not run on the netbook? If so, why the change back? 14.04 is supported until 2019. Lubuntu 12.04 was released on 04/26/2012 & not an LTS one, support ending in October 2013. No wonder you're not getting support, nor seeing these items in the Package Manager. The OS is history, unsupported. You need 14.04 to get current updates & support. Read on for more. Lubuntu 12.04 was never intended on being an LTS release (see second link). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_12.04

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870442

Please help us assist you. How about listing your hardware specs, not everything, the important components. It's important to do this when seeking assistance (on any forum), so that those whom are assisting you aren't taking blind guesses. We'll see what we can do to find you a suitable OS & assist with configuration. 

1):CPU

2) RAM

3) Graphics

4) Sound Card

Have you considered Linux Mint? Version 17 is an LTS release, with support until April 2019, version 13 (older) is too, until April 2017. Both has an Xfce or "lite" version & is a popular OS. 

Let's start over & see if we can get things right this time around.  :)

Good Luck. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:50 AM

Have you tried Ubuntu 14 with lxde?

I installed Skype and I can't get any sound

WARNING you will be using SUDO GEDIT that means you are editing files as root USE AT OWN RISK, When doing this it is always a good idea to create a back up of the file to say USB first.

Try this.

Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa and add tsched=0 to the line load-module module-udev-detect

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
                     load-module module-detect tsched=0 

Save and restart

$ pulseaudio -k
$ pulseaudio --start

should look like this.

load-module module-udev-detect use_ucm=0 tsched=0
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
load-module module-detect tsched=0
.endif

Edited by NickAu1, 17 August 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#6 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hey Cat, 

The netbook is an Acer Aspire one. The processor is 2x Intel ® CPU N270 @ 1.60 GHz.

Ram is 2gb (updated). As far as the sound and graphics card, I have no idea. I don't see it in "System Profiler".

Also, I'm confused. In the "System Profiler" it state the OS is Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS with LXDE desktop environment. Yet you say 12.04 was not intended as an LTS. And yes, I did read the link you posted. 

I have tried "Mint" and a bunch of distros trying to find one light(?) enough or fast enough to make the Acer at least somewhat usable. It's not my main machine, I use it mainly for trying to learn about Linux and I can be more adventurous when it doesn't matter if I crash & burn the system!! Not that I have, yet!

NickAu 1

I haven't tried the editor thing yet, things have been kind of hectic around here. Thanks for the info.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

I have tried "Mint" and a bunch of distros trying to find one light(?) enough or fast enough to make the Acer at least somewhat usable. It's not my main machine, I use it mainly for trying to learn about Linux and I can be more adventurous when it doesn't matter if I crash & burn the system!! Not that I have, yet!

Try This.

Here's something that will knock your sox off, It wont matter if you run it Live from a disk, or, Install it, Puppy linux 5.7.1 retro.

Download the RETRO precise-5.7.1-retro.iso here or there, size = 201 MB, md5sum = 8c1d7db20a055fe847ed954fc246e078.

NOTE: This has additional drivers, including analog modem drivers, and has Opera as additional browser for PCs with 256 MB or less random-access memory (RAM).

Burn it to CD or USB ( you can install it to USB stick) and try it You will need to set your pc to boot from USB or CD in bios . With puppy you will think that Acer is an i7. And I doubt you will ever use 2Gib Ram. If you like it I can point you to a big puppy that has everything installed on it you will ever need.

Look out I see a pair of sox flying LOL.

Expect software to load as fast on your pc.

http://youtu.be/qkDYveZZkp8

Edited by NickAu1, 19 August 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Also, I'm confused. In the "System Profiler" it state the OS is Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS with LXDE desktop environment. Yet you say 12.04 was not intended as an LTS. And yes, I did read the link you posted. 

I wasn't speaking of Ubuntu, it was Lubuntu 12.04. The source states That Lubuntu 12.04 was never intended as an LTS & is what I was relying on. It's straight from the horse's mouth & was announced nearly three years ago, on 10/27/2011. Read again for clarity. 

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870442

Ubuntu 12.04 is still supported & is an LTS release. Linux Mint also has a desktop changer, this must be what you're referring to, is a look or DE changer. Yes you can do this, but that's not a true, purebred Lubuntu OS, as you indicated in your OP that you installed. If you have Ubuntu 12.04 installed & are switching that way, then you've misrepresented what you have installed. 

If you were to download & install the real Lubuntu 12.04 (not Ubuntu), you'd see what I mean. 

It's also best when creating a Topic, to accurately state what you have installed. Ubuntu 12.04 should support the computer & drivers available. Not sure that the DE changers offers the same. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 19 August 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#9 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hey NickAu1,

Finally did get around to using the PulseAudio fix; and it worked like a charm.

Also, tried the Puppy 5.7.2 retro. An i7? Not quite, but very fast. Thanks, you came up trumps again!

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

You are welcome.  Play around with puppy its nice. Oh come on I bet you never seen that pc of yours run so fast.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

Yes, Puppy OS's will smoke on that computer. I was checking your CPU specs to see if you could run FatDog64, which is lightening fast, but there's no 64 bit support. 

However, there's plenty of choices in Puppy. Several different ones, including one that;s 3.8GB. 

Cat

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

including one that;s 3.8GB.

This 1

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_precise-5.7.1-retro-fatty-2014-jan-csipesz

Edited by NickAu1, 22 August 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

Yes, that one. It's indeed large, but likely has everything one could hope to need & then some. 

That ISO is larger than any Windows one & the majority of Linux ones. 

BTW, what's the support timeframe on Precise 5.7.1 (Fatty)?

Cat

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:49 AM

Its LTS .

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

I may have to try that one out on my Thinkpad. Need a good second OS on it, more current than MInt 13. That has to be a loaded OS. by the size of the ISO. A tad too large for a 4GB Flash drive. But I have larger ones. 

Will have to learn how to do one of those frugal installs. Or maybe to that 16GB SDHC card I purchased that's slow as dirt. 

Glad to hear it's LTS, wouldn't bother with that size of a download that isn't. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 August 2014 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users