Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer a program on old laptop to newer PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ioway63

ioway63

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

I am new to computers and I want to know what to do to take a program off a old laptop with Windows 98 and transfer it to a newer laptop with Windows 7. The old laptop does  not have a USB port and does not have CD burning ability.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

With few exceptions, you will need the original install software. You can not transfer installed software due to the way software gets installed. It's just not all neatly packed into a single folder. Programs actually scatter their data all over the place. If it was possible, chances are it's not likely that software of the Win 98 era would run on Win 7. What software program is it?? You may be able to get a modern version that is Win7 compatible.

This article should clear things up: http://www.howtogeek.com/172701/why-you-cant-just-copy-a-programs-folder-to-a-new-windows-system-and-when-you-can/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 PepsiFC

PepsiFC

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

If you have the software installer, simply copy it over to a USB stick and install it on your Windows 7 computer. If it doesn't work, you could try to right click it and click "Compatibility mode" and then click "Run in Windows Me/98 compatibility mode".

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

old laptop does  not have a USB port and does not have CD burning ability.

1 option is to network the 2 computers and copy the exe's over to the new pc.

Second option, Depending on how big the software is ( size of the exe's) you could zip them and email them to yourself. Or upload them to dropbox for example, Then download them to the new PC.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 August 2014 - 08:40 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

With few exceptions, you will need the original install software. You can not transfer installed software due to the way software gets installed. It's just not all neatly packed into a single folder. Programs actually scatter their data all over the place. If it was possible, chances are it's not likely that software of the Win 98 era would run on Win 7. What software program is it?? You may be able to get a modern version that is Win7 compatible.

This article should clear things up: http://www.howtogeek.com/172701/why-you-cant-just-copy-a-programs-folder-to-a-new-windows-system-and-when-you-can/

98% this person is right. But in the 98% there are rare cases where it's a program that is self-contained in a folder and in that case you have a few options: 

Floppy

Network

Upload to a storage service (Dropbox)

Edited by Ivy74, 17 October 2014 - 09:01 AM.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users