Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ok, now that I'm up and running again...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Ok, now that I'm up and running again... and have the OS installed... and have not yet installed most of my programs...

...is it possible to create a type of back up that would completely restore my OS and settings should I ever lose the hard disk again?

I'm thinking like an image file that I could boot from the CD/DVD drive and restore everything without the frustration of doing an OS install, then drivers, and so on.  If so, how would I go about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hello deltacoolguy! :)

There is a easy way to do this:

Open Control Panel, click System and Security, then Backup and Restore.

Now, on the left side you have Create a system image. This will open a window which will allow you to choose where you want to save it, what should it contain, etc.

Personally i recommend saving it on a external drive, which you can then unplug and keep in safe place.

After you have backup created, use also the Create system repair disc which will be bootable and allow you to restore the backup. :)

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 13 August 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Info

Louis

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

I think this is the route I am going to go.  Before I do, I have a couple questions...

1. If I understand correctly, I can back up my OS and/or my OS and installed programs, correct?
  2. If #1 is correct, and I back up things like AutoCAD and Photoshop (I have legal licenses for both), they would be restored with conficurations and settings so that I could simply restore and go, if necessary, correct?
  3. Can I back-up to an external hard drive that is used for other uses, or does the external hard drive need to be dedicated for this only?
  4. Re #3, even if dedicated, could I back up more than one computer to the same external hard drive?  If so, would I separate them via different folders, etc.?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users