Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

Okay so I'm not really sure where to post this, so if it's in the wrong board, feel free to move it.

Anyway, I've recently installed the free distrobution of MechWarrior 4 through the MTX patcher. When I go to run the game, I get a blank window, which hangs for a few seconds, then crashes. I get a popup from AVG telling me it has blocked a trojan virus.

Here's the kicker. On the most recent install, I scanned the file with AVG and it came back CLEAN. I ALSO added an exception for the resident shield just in case, and it STILL BLOCKED AND DELETED THE FILE!!

I have something else that's bugging me but I'll put that in a seperate thread.

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2014 - 07:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Since the original site...MekTek...stopped offering the downloads, I see from a short search that it can be found

on some P2Ps/ torrents which are notorious these days for including malware with downloads.

It's possible that AVG did not recognize the malware until the program was unzipped or attempted actions such as

calling home to a known infected website, etc.

Actually, just about all download sites these days attempt to install adware. Even security programs do that with their free products.

Suggest you attempt to remove the game and forgo the dangerous downloads from P2Ps.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

I still wanna play it though. And it's the official MTX files, so I doubt it got packed with a trojan. And it only pops up when I try to launch the game. I think it might just be how it was installed. SSPortable also keeps getting flagged, but not blocked. I might just switch to Avast.

Edited by Shade the Wolf, 13 August 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:20 AM

Many programs, toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, and browser extensions come bundled with other free third-party software you download from the Internet (often without the knowledge or consent of the user) as a common practice by legitimate vendors. In some cases, they may be included in Installers or Downloaders found at hosting sites such as CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows.
* Adobe Reader includes Google Chrome or McAfee Security Scan pre-checked by default during installation
* Adobe ShockwavePlayer includes Google Chrome or Norton Security Scan pre-checked by default during installation
* Java includes Ask Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* CCleaner (standard installer) includes Yahoo Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* Unlocker includes Babylon Toolbar or Delta Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* GOM Player includes Ask Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* GIMP includes AVG SafeGuard/Secure Search toolbar pre-checked by default during installation

Calendar Of Updates maintains a comprehensive list of common software bundled with unwanted add-ons called the:
Installers Hall of Shame.

When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads and is typically the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything on the screen before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button. Even then, in some cases, this opting out does not always seem to work as intended.

Keep in mind that these bundled packages, installers and downloaders can often be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine, and user profile corruption. Since some of their componets and behavior are determined to be harmful, anti-virus and anti-malware tools may detect and remove them as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs). PUPs may be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition.

More information and Best practices for downloading software can be found in this topic:
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

• Run the ESET Online Scanner.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

# AdwCleaner v3.305 - Report created 14/08/2014 at 09:24:52
# Updated 14/08/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Shade the Wolf - SHADETHEWOLF-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Shade the Wolf\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\AVG Secure Search
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\Bench
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AVG Secure Search
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Shade the Wolf\AppData\Local\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Shade the Wolf\AppData\Local\emaze
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Shade the Wolf\AppData\LocalLow\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Shade the Wolf\Documents\Updater
File Deleted : C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Registry.pol
File Deleted : C:\Users\Shade the Wolf\daemonprocess.txt
File Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\browser\searchplugins\safeguard-secure-search.xml

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions [Avg@toolbar]
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\ViProtocol.DLL
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG SafeGuard toolbar.BrowserWndAPI
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG SafeGuard toolbar.BrowserWndAPI.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG SafeGuard toolbar.PugiObj
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG SafeGuard toolbar.PugiObj.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protocols\handler\viprotocol
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\S
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ViProtocol.ViProtocolOLE
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ViProtocol.ViProtocolOLE.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extension Compatibility\{74F475FA-6C75-43BD-AAB9-ECDA6184F600}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\au__rasapi32
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\au__rasmancs
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\avg-secure-search-installer_RASAPI32
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\avg-secure-search-installer_RASMANCS
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\biclient_RASAPI32
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\biclient_RASMANCS
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\LatestDLMgr_RASAPI32
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\LatestDLMgr_RASMANCS
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\YontooDesktop_RASAPI32
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\YontooDesktop_RASMANCS
Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run [vProt]
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@avg.com/AVG SiteSafety plugin,version=11.0.0.1,application/x-avg-sitesafety-plugin
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{1FDFF5A2-7BB1-48E1-8081-7236812B12B2}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{C007DADD-132A-624C-088E-59EE6CF0711F}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4E92DB5F-AAD9-49D3-8EAB-B40CBE5B1FF7}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{933B95E2-E7B7-4AD9-B952-7AC336682AE3}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B658800C-F66E-4EF3-AB85-6C0C227862A9}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DE9028D0-5FFA-4E69-94E3-89EE8741F468}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E7DF6BFF-55A5-4EB7-A673-4ED3E9456D39}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F25AF245-4A81-40DC-92F9-E9021F207706}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{03E2A1F3-4402-4121-8B35-733216D61217}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{3408AC0D-510E-4808-8F7B-6B70B1F88534}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{4E92DB5F-AAD9-49D3-8EAB-B40CBE5B1FF7}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{9E3B11F6-4179-4603-A71B-A55F4BCB0BEC}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C401D2CE-DC27-45C7-BC0C-8E6EA7F085D6}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{74FB6AFD-DD77-4CEB-83BD-AB2B63E63C93}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{9C049BA6-EA47-4AC3-AED6-A66D8DC9E1D8}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{C2AC8A0E-E48E-484B-A71C-C7A937FAAB94}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{DCABB943-792E-44C4-9029-ECBEE6265AF9}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{C6FDD0C3-266A-4DC3-B459-28C697C44CDC}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{F25AF245-4A81-40DC-92F9-E9021F207706}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{E7DF6BFF-55A5-4EB7-A673-4ED3E9456D39}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{F25AF245-4A81-40DC-92F9-E9021F207706}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar [{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}]
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{03E2A1F3-4402-4121-8B35-733216D61217}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{3408AC0D-510E-4808-8F7B-6B70B1F88534}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{4E92DB5F-AAD9-49D3-8EAB-B40CBE5B1FF7}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{9E3B11F6-4179-4603-A71B-A55F4BCB0BEC}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C401D2CE-DC27-45C7-BC0C-8E6EA7F085D6}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{F25AF245-4A81-40DC-92F9-E9021F207706}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\AVG Security Toolbar
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\visualbee
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AVG SafeGuard toolbar

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17239

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v31.0 (x86 en-US)

[ File : C:\Users\Shade the Wolf\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\lmxyp5hf.default-1399885478074\prefs.js ]

-\\ Google Chrome v

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [6933 octets] - [14/08/2014 09:23:04]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [6812 octets] - [14/08/2014 09:24:52]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [6872 octets] ##########

I'll edit the ESET log in once it finishes... It's currently stuck at 36% right now.

EDIT: Accidentally stopped the scan (thought I was in another window and started typing.) so I'm rerunning it. Here's the log from the incomplete scan though, if you want it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Information\50368.crx    JS/Toolbar.Crossrider.B potentially unwanted application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Information\50368.xpi    JS/Toolbar.Crossrider.B potentially unwanted application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Information\Information-buttonutil.dll    a variant of Win32/Toolbar.CrossRider.AA potentially unwanted application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Information\Information-buttonutil.exe    a variant of Win32/Toolbar.CrossRider.AA potentially unwanted application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Information\Information-buttonutil64.dll    a variant of Win64/Toolbar.Crossrider.I potentially unwanted application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Information\Information-buttonutil64.exe    a variant of Win64/Toolbar.Crossrider.I potentially unwanted application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Information\utils.exe    a variant of Win32/Packed.VMDetector.E potentially unwanted application

I'll post a more complete log once the scan actually finishes this time.

Edited by Shade the Wolf, 14 August 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

ESET may be scanning a large file...that could be the reason it appears stuck. Sometimes, depending on few things, it can take hours.

Somehow you managed to get all of the AVG adware toolbars reinstalled after they were removed once before. 

Just curious....did you uninstall and reinstall AVG Free? Or did AVG reinstall the toolbars during an update?

As you can see the toolbars were removed back in February....#13

#8 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I think they got reinstalled during an update. Is there a way to stop that from happening?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

As far as I know...if they haven't changed their policy...you are offered a chance to UNcheck their installs. If that is 

no longer their policy and they are foisting the toolbars on you then you would have to purchase AVG or change to

another free antivirus.

Ninite's downloads are adware free and they will update the programs, too. Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

#10 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Interesting. On a related note, my friend found out this:

If you are having mw4mercs.exe picked up by your anti-virus its a false positive. Due to the way we protect mw4mercs.exe it is some times picked up as a virus. Its not a virus. We will try to get this resolved ASAP. Until then please make exceptions]

But even with making an exception in the resident shield, it still picks up the program. This is what it's picking it up as, btw: IDP.Trojan.3D9EB2A4.

Speaking of AVG, I cannot run the uninstaller. I keep getting an error stating "AVG Update is already running." Even though it's not. I KNOW this because the first time I tried was right after I booted up my computer this morning. Is there a way to uninstall AVG that doesn't use the uninstaller? I wanna switch to Avast.

Edited by Shade the Wolf, 14 August 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Sometimes the best way to uninstall security programs is doing so while in Safe Mode. Before they start up.

AVG has an uninstaller, too. AVG | Download tools and utilities

EDIT: then there is Revo Uninstaller...it has a good track record.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Edited by buddy215, 14 August 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#12 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Alright, I'll uninstall it in Safe Mode next time I restart the computer. Is Avast any better than AVG?

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Is Avast any better than AVG?  I would imagine you would get as many yeses as nos.

But Avast doesn't install AVG's adware. :)

BUT....Avast does install SafePrice. They say it can be permanently disabled in the browser settings.

BUT on this page it doesn't tell you the path to take. avast! blog » How does avast! SafePrice work?

I know you might ask does Ninite's download allow the install of Safe Price....I don't think so but am not sure.

Here is one instruction for turning off Safe Price:

In Mozilla Firefox:
Enter the following into your address bar: chrome://wrc/content/options.html
This gives you access to the “avast! Online Security Settings” screen.
Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck  “SafePrice Receive SafePrice shopping recommendations on relevant sites.”
Click on the “Save” button.

#14 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Alright. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it :D

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

...Is Avast any better than AVG?

IMO avast is better.

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

Since the release of AVG 2011/2012/2013, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings. I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Please read: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users