Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help fixing boot issue!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

This is a headache. I can't seem to find another inquiry that matches this.

Win7 Dell PC. has a WD500GB Sata.

Normal boot goes to splash screen and lingers endlessly. It doesn't freeze (you can see the flag waving) but doesn't progress beyond.

Safe Mode will hang on file loading screen OR sometimes will load Startup Repair.

Startup Repair gives me the blue background and moveable cursor.

I tried a Win7install disc- goes to Install Now screen- I select Repair Your Computer and it gives me the same result as above.

A chkdsk scan (done while mounted to another PC) returns no errors but took 3 hours to move from 15%-18%. I suspected a bad platter or failing HDD, so I cloned the drive. New drive has the same issues.

Important note: When I look at the drive in Windows Explorer (during the chkdsk scan) it shows the Recovery as D: and OS as E:. This also shows when I ran the HDD on the original PC with a MiniXP CD. Shows Recovery as C: and OS as D:.

Has the bootmgr been screwed with? How can I rebuild the BCD if I can't access the command line on the original PC?

Data and files are intact on the HDD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

FWIW:  As long as the Windows partition...when booted into...reflects C:...there is no need to worry about letters assigned.

Having multiple drives attached with Windows installs...confuses some.  If you ran chkdsk /r from another computer, there would be two Windows installs involved.  The one booted into would be C:, the other would be D:, in all likelihood.

Dell and other OEMs...may elect a boot structure which makes their recovery partition the first partition on a drive.  This is nothing to worry about, since booting into Windows will reflect as C:.

Louis

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, I understand the reasoning when the drive is attached to another system, but with the HDD in its original system, with MiniXp running (off CD), C: is showing Recovery, and D: is OS (Windows). Isn't that a problem?

MiniXP has access to command prompt. Assuming the bootmgr needs to be rebuilt, should I attempt it here? Because I can't get the Startup Repair to work. I've read similar (but not exact!) situations where the Startup Repair takes hours to load. Not sure if I can chance that.

Edited by Netghost56, 13 August 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

As I stated...why would that be a problem?  Frankly...I don't know what MinXP might be...I see now that it's Hiren's... but it's not Windows and thus should see all partitions...and, IMO, it matters not what letters a 2d or 3d-party program/utility assigns the partitions that it sees.

The utility...is only a utility.

The only thing that matters is how Windows sees itself when booted into.

IMO, using the Hiren's tool is analogous to viewing a dual-boot system.  When booted into, that Windows install becomes C:, while the other is assigned a different letter...things are reversed if the other is booted into.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Well, then I'm addlepated.

The only thing I can think of is to format the clone drive and install a fresh copy of 7, then transfer the personal files off the old drive. :mellow:

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Nothing new to report.

I feel strongly like I'm missing something obvious here!

Booting into Normal mode and still stuck at splash screen. No freeze.

Safe Mode stops loading at CLASSPNP.sys

Startup Repair goes to blue background and moveable cursor.

Startup Repair via install disc (Both Pro and Home) go to bluebackground and moveable cursor. Cannot access repair options.

Cloned drive exhibits same behavior.

I tried cloning only the Recovery Partition but that doesn't work

I did a clean install of 7 but the OEM key doesn't work (obviously)

What to do, what to do....and the client is NOT happy....

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

1.  Safe Mode will hang on file loading screen OR sometimes will load Startup Repair.

2.  A chkdsk scan (done while mounted to another PC) returns no errors but took 3 hours to move from 15%-18%. I suspected a bad platter or failing HDD, so I cloned the drive. New drive has the same issues.

3.  Has the bootmgr been screwed with? How can I rebuild the BCD if I can't access the command line on the original PC?

1. If you are able to boot into the Advanced Boot Options try using the Last known Good Configuration.

2.  How did you run chkdsk with the hdd installed in another computer?  I'm hoping you didn't boot from it in the computer you were running the chkdsk.

3,  I'm going to suggest that you run a Repair Installation.  The instructions below will have you eventually run the Startup Repair, this is one of the options in the System Recovery Options.  After running the Startup Repair go back to step 7b and choose Command Prompt in the System Recovery Options.  When the elevated command prompt opens type in bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter.  When the command has run you should receive the message:

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on [b]Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

I forgot to mention the Last Known Config. I did try that first, actually.

The other things you mentioned I've tried. But I always rebooted the system when I got the blue background in Startup Repair- never left it on more than 30 mins.

I let it stay open for a few hours today, and the menu final came up! It did the auto repair, then asked for a reboot. Now it boots to a black screen with a moveable cursor.

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I ran chkdsk again, this time in Startup Repair, and it mentioned fixing some errors.

Next I ran bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot, and finally rebuilt the BCD.

Still booting to a black screen with cursor, both in Normal and Safe mode.

Should I run Farbar?

#10 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

Hi Netghost,

Try to perform clear boot :

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
  2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.
    Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or provide confirmation. 

2440068.png
  3. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

2440069.png
  4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

2440071.png

Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

#11 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Ok, I can't get into the desktop at all.

#12 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

I tho you are able to enter safe mode?

Enter the bios and stop any peripherals as Audio, Network, Wifi-card, card readers and etc.

Try to log in safe mode if you manage perform clean boot, if that doesn`t help I`m afraid you have to perform repair or widows reinstall.

Andy 

Edited by Bulgaristan, 15 August 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

I did a clean install of 7 but the OEM key doesn't work (obviously)

What to do, what to do....and the client is NOT happy....

Can you clarify this please.

You removed everything from the new HDD and installed a new windows fresh and it worked?

Did you install also all the drivers needed for all the hardware?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

No, the OEM key is invalid, which doesn't help the issue, as the client would only get limited use from the PC.

After reestablishing access to Startup Repair I have cloned the drive again, so that I can make whatever changes to the new HDD and its contents without risking the data on the original drive.

I will run Farbar and post the contents here. There may be some issues that can be fixed.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

How did you clone the disk?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users