Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrative privileges on limited account to run various software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lapetite66

lapetite66

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hi:

I created a limited account but there are issues.

The issue is that I am unable to run PeerBlock automatically within the limited account.  Well, I can run it but I have to use the "Run as" option which isn't an issue(well it kind-of is) on my own personal computer.  However, this is a BIG issue since I want to set up a limited account on my sister's computer.

I figured out through trial and error how to set up things so that she can connect to the internet (because a limited account couldn't do that either).  I did this by using the “manage” computer options and adding “networking”(can’t remember the exact wording right now) to her account access options group.

Using VMware I tried something similar to help with the peerblock issue and the only thing that helps is if I add “Administrative Privileges” to her access group.  The up-side was that peerblock starts automatically like I want.  The downside is that with those privileges she could accidentally screw something up and that has been known to happen especially when it comes to my sister.

I’ve read that the newer operating systems don’t have this issue but I have XP so I would like a work-around to this issue.  I found a piece of software called PStools (from Microsoft), which will allow me to make a shortcut that she can click-on but the problem with that is that she won’t remember to do that. 

Is there a way to give administrative privileges to a certain piece of software without all this hassle???

Another question if I decide to just add Administrative privileges to her access group does that mean that viruses etc. will also now have Administrative privileges to jack things up???

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

It's interesting you were not able to get internet on the LUA. I am able to access the internet from a LUA on two XP computers without a problem. This is with one admin account and one LUA account at logon.

For running a program that needs adminstrator privileges in a LUA, see this link, #2. You do not want to add admin privlleges to her group. Just change the privlleges on PeerBlock. Another thing, did you add a password to the Administrator account that is shown when accessing safe mode?

#3 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hi JohnC_21

You were able to access the internet on your limited account?  Wow.  Answer me this, was that limited account created when you first installed your OS???  My limited account was created after the fact maybe that is the difference?

Okay, so it's a bad idea to give the limited account or add the administrative privileges to the limited account got it.

I have windows XP Pro and from what I can see Doug’s Security Console won’t help me, I tried it in Vmware and it’s a no-go.  There aren’t any options that will fix the Peerblock issue.

Are there any other options to change the privileges on Peerblock etc.??  I’ve looked all over the place on the net and have yet to find anything to help with this issue. 

Yes, I have a password for the Administrator account when accessing safe mode.  Is that a problem?  I don’t understand if that is the case as it keeps anyone else from jacking things up.

Essentially, what this article covers is how to set the appropriate permissions for the Limited User account for the software to run. To do this, after installing the software, follow these steps:
  1. Right-click the shortcut or Start menu entry and choose "properties"
  2. On the shortcut tab, click the "advanced" button.
  3. Select the option to "run with different credentials"
  4. Enter an Administrator username and password, then click ok.

I did the “Run with different credentials” bit…it didn’t work for me.  When I logged onto the limited account I got a box with the error message “Peerblock requires Administrative privileges to run”.  As for those four(4) steps, I was able to do all but number 4. 

Where exactly was I supposed to enter the username and password because I don’t see that option on the “shortcut tab”.  I do see the following:

1. Target type
  2. Target location
  3. Target: "C:\Program Files\PeerBlock\peerblock.exe"
  4. Start in: "C:\Program Files\PeerBlock"
  5. Shortcut key: None
  6. Run:  Normal Window
  7. Comment:  PeerBlock 1.2 (r693)
  8. Find Target Button
  9. Change Icon Button
  10. Advanced Button

When I go to “Program Files” and right click on the folder(without opening it), I get the following tabs

1. General
  2. Sharing
  3. Customize

When I click and open the folder and then right click on the actual application (.exe) I get the following tabs:

1. General
  2. Version
  3. Compatibility
  4. Backup
  5. Digital Signatures
  6. Summary

Edited by lapetite66, 13 August 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

You want an Administrator password. I was just making you aware that it may have not been set.

If I can remember, I installed XP with one account and added the other Limited Accounts after the install.

Did you disable Simple File Sharing? Right click the Peerblock Folder itself and select Properties. Do you see the Security Tab? You may also want to see if PeerData put a folder in AppData under All Users or in the admin account you installed it from.

You can also change permissions at the command line as shown here. Note the "" around the path. Those are needed if there is a space.

#5 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

JohnC_21:

I’ve had an administrator password from the beginning as well as a password for my log-in account both which are NOT the same to be on the safe side.  My name on the computer isn’t administrator, I thought that was too impersonal so I use my initials.

Anyway, yes, I disabled file sharing but that didn’t do a dang thing! Well, it did I am now on the limited account and yes, I see the security tab…it wasn’t there yesterday!  However, it was there in the virtual machine AFTER I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it.

No, there isn’t a peerblock folder in either the administrator’s or the “all users” folder.

I tried the command line and that didn’t work.  I would type the command as written and the box would seem to pop up but it wouldn’t stay or either the virtual machine or my “real” machine.

I also tried the workaround and it didn’t work either.  I kept getting this error message.  Since I was using Vmware there wasn’t an issue with Anti-virus but it still didn’t work.

I’m ready to give up because nothing is working!!! :mellow:

I guess it’s just like I read on the internet it’s how the software was designed originally; whether or not it has the capability to work with more than just the administrator’s account.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

For your sister, you may want to take a look at K9. It's a filtering program you can password protect.

For an antivirus. There is avast! free. You can set it to Hardened mode > Aggressive and it will block most everything that avast has not whitelisted. I have avast! on hardened mode agressive and it's very quite.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142172.0

Hardened Mode: Aggressive
This mode behaves a bit differently. It actually relies on analysis on a very small scale and mostly relies on a huge whitelist database located in avast! Cloud. If file is located within the cloud and flagged as safe, it will allow to run it. If it's not found or marked as bad, it will block it. So, at least based on my experience, Aggressive Mode is actually much more secure and also a lot less intrusive. Only time that it will cause problems is with some very rare old software or very very new software that isn't used by thousands of users. Usually some very specialized programs used by only few users.
Moderate mode often feels a bit too paranoid (despite its name) because it often blocks safe programs just because they exhibit local suspicious file characteristics that are basically ignored by the Aggressive mode.

#7 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

JohnC_21:

Thanks for the suggestion but that K9 sound like it's only for internet protection.  As for avast I have enough anti-virus on the computer and don't really need anymore.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Because you have Pro, look at creating a Software Restriction Policy

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310791

http://blog.windowsnt.lv/2011/06/01/preventing-malware-with-srp-english/

#9 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

JohnC_21

I read a little about policy restrictions but was too impatient to finish the article before.  I finished this article, so thanks.

I will try creating a new policy for peerblock in VMware and let you know it works out.  I will be going out of town to visit some family this weekend and right now am in the process of getting ready.  So, I don't know if I will get to it before this week is over.  I will get back to you by next Tuesday at the latest or if earlier if I have the opportunity to try out the policy creation idea.

Thanks again! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users