Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop And Other Probs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

Dear all,

Is there a "specific" cause for the right click context menu to be delayed so extensively on the d top (3-5 secs)
Malware was removed on the system previously and user reported trojan infection as removed bug.
After further analysis and cleansing I did change menu responsiveness in the reg under ShowMenuDelay and adjusted to 1000 but this was changed back to its original value on finding the right click prob on desktop. Problem remains.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have confidence with the registry, but even tho nothing was touched (prior to above mentioned change), the system crammed up when exiting from the editor and a freeze was encountered with no messages.

Obviously still some problems there, user mentions he is a p2p user (limewire) for music downloads

System is a Dell Dim 4400 series. I assumed 512MB but was rushed to figure malware diagnosis and forgot to verify...sorry.. :thumbsup:

Checks made (I only had an hour to look and run checks hence incomplete prior diagnosis)
Trend micro had trouble loading
Ran AVG which turned up clean
Trend micro failed to complete a housecall check
Spybot S&D removed found problems
Will run Ad-Aware today
Just need to know if there is any particular order of anti-malware programs that need to be run. I know there are a few.

Thanks and sorry for the trashy post..I know it could have been written better if I had checked the right specs before posting.
Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

Hi Darren De Wilde
If the delay only occurs on the desktop right click check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers in the reg.
On a clean install, only the subkey "new" will be there.
Most video card drivers will place an entry there also.
If you see anything else there, delete it, exit and reboot.
It may be neccessary to remove the video card's software application subkey as well.
If need be, you may have to re-installed the video driver. Sometimes it's not needed though.

Edited by HitSquad, 03 June 2006 - 11:33 AM.

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

Worked perfectly. Thanks HitSquad. Case Closed.
Darren

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

Not a problem, glad to help out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users