Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

after malware attack, mouse and keyboard don't work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 etherjones

etherjones

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

After malware attack, Windows boots but mouse and keyboard do not work.

Is there any way to repair Windows, rather than re-installing?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

Have you tried going to Device manager, looking for the keyboard and mouse.......right click and uninstall both of them....then reboot ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Have you tried going to Device manager, looking for the keyboard and mouse.......right click and uninstall both of them....then reboot ?

Not funny :-(

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

It wasn't meant to be.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

What sort of PC

Desktop or laptop?

Usb mouse and keyboard ?....

detail please

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab01

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

From your BC history/recent content, it appears you are running windows 7 on a Lenovo ThinkPad E545. (laptop)

Please advise me if this is not correct.

You will find drivers HERE for Mouse and Keyboard (ThinkPad Ultranav Driver, Windows 7 32 & 64 bit )

Download them and SAVE them to your desktop.

It may be helpful to have a USB mouse to plug in, just for emergencies. (a usb keyboard would be ultra cool too ! )

Try out the troubleshooting steps first .

Keep us informed.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

What sort of PC

Desktop or laptop?

Usb mouse and keyboard ?....

detail please

Dell desktop (Optiplex).

Windows boots but mouse and keyboard do not work.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Running windows 7 ?....Start button >> Control Panel  >> Device Manager.>>>>.....look for your keyboard and Mouse....Uninstall them and Reboot the PC

(suggestion in post No.2)

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

If this does not work, you had better tell me a little more about the malware attack mentioned in your first post.

What type of malware

What actions you took

Which tools used...malwarebytes, rogue killer etc etc

etc

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Running windows 7 ?....Start button >> Control Panel  >> Device Manager.>>>>.....look for your keyboard and Mouse....Uninstall them and Reboot the PC

(suggestion in post No.2)

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, but how do I do that if the keyboard and mouse do not work (post #1 and post #8)?

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

lol....excellent point !....Can you try in safe mode ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users