Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Computers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dwil

dwil

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

I'm considering purchasing a computer from Dell (UK). Anyone had experience with them, particularly after-sales service?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

I've only had US experience with Dell.  Their machines have a service tag that allows you to easily look for drivers and support.  Since I doing IT for a living that was about all I need from them.

#3 PepsiFC

PepsiFC

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I bought my main computer (A Dell Vostro 260) of Dell.no. I've had no problems. Their computers are good quality stuff.

#4 dwil

dwil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:46 AM

Thanks both. Are you UK based Pepsi?

#5 PepsiFC

PepsiFC

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

Thanks both. Are you UK based Pepsi?

Nah, I'm from Norway.

#6 Hippygator

Hippygator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

I have owned a Dell 8200 for about 10yrs now and it has really taken a licking and kept on ticking. The only thing that went wrong was the optical cd drive which I replaced for $40 ages ago. I have crashed it countless times for various reasons, played hundereds of high end games and it seems none the worse for wear.

Most calls to Dell was from a novice who had a lot of questions as to "how to". They were always courteous and if a rep could not answer a question he called his supervisor who then answered with expertise.

I am in the market for a new pc myself simply because my old one can't handle Windows 8.

I certainly would recommend a new Dell. Based in the USA.

Edited by Hippygator, 12 September 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

Dell PCs only downside is their tendency to make common hardware parts proprietary, so that you have to buy from them. A bit irritating for the hobbyist that wants to work in their on PC.

#8 Hippygator

Hippygator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

While it is true that a Dell part is a Dell part,  on the internet there are an abundance of after-market electronics shops that sell Dell rerfurbished and new Dell parts at bargain basement prices. Never had a problem working on my Dell.

#9 dwil

dwil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thanks all. By the time I decided to go for Dell - the only company that seems to offer after-sales on site help - the computer I was after had sold out and only more expensive ones available They seem to go like hot cakes so that says something. In the end I got HP but when next in the market will certainly go for Dell after such endorsements.

#10 rugby8705

rugby8705

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Dells are by far the easiest to work with.

Website for drivers, support, and OEM install discs make working with Dell a breeze.

Also onboard diagnostics!

#11 dwil

dwil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thanks. Pity I didn't get this earlier as I would have gone for it but see reply to hippygator above.

#12 rugby8705

rugby8705

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

No problem, Hopefully your current machine works out great for you.

What did you end up getting?

#13 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'm considering purchasing a computer from Dell (UK). Anyone had experience with them, particularly after-sales service?

We primarily sell and support Dell's at my place of business in the US. So I can't speak from a UK perspective but I can tell you this. If you have a hardware issue, and a warranty you will get the part in 1 to 2 days here in the US. I assume it's the same if not similar there. That alone is reason enough for me to continue to use them for the other manufacturers don't make it that easy when something goes capoot and a warranty is still active. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#14 dwil

dwil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Ivy & Rugby. I got a HP pavilion 500-139 with similar specs to the Dell I was looking at. Doesn't have on-site after sales service of course so have to lose it for a few weeks if it goes wrong - which it shouldn't!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users