Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iphone 5s vs HTC ONE M7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tech Dude

Tech Dude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

I just can't seem to be able to decide which handset to go with. I think the Iphone is a well built and dependable phone, but I'd like to venture out into the Android world. The only Android handset that I would consider is the HTC one. I am having concerns on reviews I have read about the M7 being buggy and dropping calls. Can anyone confirm if these statements are accurate? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I can't speak to the positives or negatives as I've never even so much as touched an apple phone. However I've never been fond of the 'walled garden' way of life on something I own. Every non jail broken model looks identical. Aside from the apps that are installed.

I do own an M7 and it is by far the best Android phone I have ever owned out of the 5 I have owned thus far. I have not experienced the dropped calls issue you mention. This is not to say I haven't had a dropped call. Because I have traveled to an area with spotty or weak cell service and the call is dropped. On the flip side I have had many more compliments about better call quality with the M7 than any other phone I've owned. In my personal experience dropped calls are more of a carrier issue than a device issue. I'm not saying it never happens but I would look at the carrier first then the device.

I am fairly confident that my M7 is unique or that there are very few that look like it in operation. Other than the hardware and base OS. I have done quite a bit of customization without rooting.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

The restrictions of apple are definitely something I do not like. I have jailbroken my iOS device and I still want to get away from it. The biggest issue is leaving a dependable handset for a not so dependable handset would be horrible. I totally get what you are saying about the dropped calls being more of a carrier issue, rather than a device issue. I have a Galaxy tablet and I just love it, so I think the transition would be fine. Thanks a lot!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 inactivecores

inactivecores

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:03 AM

Are you able to get your hands on the M8? I'd go for it if you have the means to do so.

#6 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

I could. Honestly I could get the M7 for a really good deal through my carrier right now and the M8 is available also, for a lot more. I did consider it because it is a beautiful handset and the dual cameras seems like a cool feature. When it comes to phones, I really want to make the right decision because I don't want to be stuck with something I have to carry around every day that I don't particular like.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Just a consideration. The likely price difference could net you a camera that will take better pictures than the M8. The M8 isn't that much improved hardware wise or feature wise to warrant the extra cost in my humble opinion. I don't plan to replace my M7 any time soon and I'm eligible now.

Does your carrier have 'X' number of days return policy? If so read the fine print and use it if you're truly not happy with the device.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Not sure about return policy, but I will look into it. While we are talking about Android phones, what about the LG G2? Animal, I remember you mentioning that you have owned different Android devices. I know I said it would be the M7 or nothing, but have you experienced this device? The specs on it show that this hansel is a beast. The button placement is odd, but all together looks interesting.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

I tried the LG but I didn't care for it. Sound was very tinny and the response was a bit off for me. Just a weird experience. It's a decent device just not for me. It might work for you. I would never tell somebody not to get a device. But I do share personal experiences. That's the wonderful thing about Android, variety.

To me when it comes to personal mobile devices, one size and flavor does NOT fit all. Apple makes a wonderful product, but for me it is a throwback to the Henry Ford way of doing business. You can have any color you like as long as it is black. You can have any iphone you like as long as it's the one we made this year. No variety or personalization unless you void the warranty by jailbreaking the device.

And don't get me started on price points. :P

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

I also read that the os is a bit much. I am very cable of adapting to different os, but I still enjoy a simplistic design. I have also read the exact statements you made about the M8 not being a better device. Same thing seems to go for the G3. These company's try to out do the device of last year to the point of messing up a good thing. As always, thanks for your input on this matter.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users