Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows.old

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

I just got done refreshing my computer after a serious hard drive failure.

Everything was kept, and my computer is working fine now, but I've ran into a problem. I want to automatically transfer the files from windows.old back into their original locations, but I'm afraid to do so because I believe, but am not downright positive, that it only works if I have upgraded. I'm going to ask here about it since I know this place is full of technical geniuses.

Also, after refreshing, I've lost my camera app. Is there a way to get it back?

If anyone may need it, here's my computer information.

Inspiron 3520, Windows 8, Intel CORE i3.

I don't know the specs of my computer very well but it is a x64 operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:51 PM

Storm Eagle, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Before you do anything with that windows.old folder, which you really don't need after you know all is OK, make sure everything is right. 

You'll need to check with your OEM for a Windows 8 driver or software upgrade for your camera. Does it not work, or is it the app? Drivers are easy to find for Dell, software isn't. Only Dell can replace this, but you can download drivers, that may contain the software. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Go to the above site, enter your Service Tag number & select Windows 8 as the OS, make sure you select 32 or 64 bit, if there's two versions to choose from. All of the drivers for your computer, if Windows 8 supported, should show. Note that there's no guarantees on software when upgrading an OS. 

You may be able to fish it out of the windows.old folder, but it's best to try the driver route first, as it likely needs updating anyway, and other things too. 

See what happens & report back. 

Good Luck.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 August 2014 - 11:52 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

Storm Eagle, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Before you do anything with that windows.old folder, which you really don't need after you know all is OK, make sure everything is right. 

You'll need to check with your OEM for a Windows 8 driver or software upgrade for your camera. Does it not work, or is it the app? Drivers are easy to find for Dell, software isn't. Only Dell can replace this, but you can download drivers, that may contain the software. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Go to the above site, enter your Service Tag number & select Windows 8 as the OS, make sure you select 32 or 64 bit, if there's two versions to choose from. All of the drivers for your computer, if Windows 8 supported, should show. Note that there's no guarantees on software when upgrading an OS. 

You may be able to fish it out of the windows.old folder, but it's best to try the driver route first, as it likely needs updating anyway, and other things too. 

See what happens & report back. 

Good Luck.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Hello there. Thanks. I'm installing my drivers now.

All of my files of importance are in my windows.old folder, such as my desktop documents, my text files, etc.. Would it be safe to use that program from dell to automatically copy all of the files to their original location?

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

Yes, if Dell has a tool to restore your files, I don't see why not. 

However you don't want to copy old drivers & program files over, as these should have been unharmed by the in place upgrade, though keep in mind, not all upgrade installs are perfect. Which is why I always choose the clean install option, if available. Some folks prefers to keep it simple, I don't mind doing the extra work of a clean install. 

Please keep us informed of your progress & hopefully all turns out well.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

Yes, if Dell has a tool to restore your files, I don't see why not. 

However you don't want to copy old drivers & program files over, as these should have been unharmed by the in place upgrade, though keep in mind, not all upgrade installs are perfect. Which is why I always choose the clean install option, if available. Some folks prefers to keep it simple, I don't mind doing the extra work of a clean install. 

Please keep us informed of your progress & hopefully all turns out well.  :)

Cat

Alright! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users