Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built-in Webcam Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nightheron12

nightheron12

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hi Everyone -

So I've tried using my built-in webcam the last few nights, as I recently have had to do online conference calls for work. The webcam was working just fine a few months ago the last time I used Skype, and this was the first attempted use since then. We use Adobe Connect, and when I tried to start my camera, it said no camera was detected. I started my YouCam software that came on the computer and it also said there was no camera detected.

I was going to post a screenshot of Device Manager, but the forum won't let me. So - under Imaging Devices, there is no webcam, just my printer. Under 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers' there's the following: Conexand SmartAudio HD, Cyberlink WebCam Virtual Driver, and Intel® Display Audio.

The CyberLink Webcam Virtual Driver is purported to be up-to-date.

The lenovo website had a page for this problem, and said that if the camera didn't show up under Imaging Devices, I needed to contact a support center. But I'm not under warranty anymore and I don't want to have to pay them to fix something that shouldn't have broken.

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad U310 running Windows 7.

If anyone could help me resolve this, I'd be really grateful. I know I could probably just go buy an external webcam, but it rankles to go buy something that supposedly came with my laptop.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

Uninstall The CyberLink Webcam Virtual Driver, and then reboot

(Do this in device manager.......right click on it and select uninstall.......then reboot)

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

Hi, nightheron12,  :)

Does your computer have a keyboard function, possible a combination, that controls the webcam? You may need to consult your manual to check this. 

It's a starting point, to make sure it's enabled. 

Please post back if this doesn't work. 

EDIT: The suggestion by Condobloke is likely better than mine. The uninstall & forced reinstall after reboot does wonders, works for optical drives too. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 August 2014 - 11:39 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 nightheron12

nightheron12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

Okay I uninstalled, rebooted, and opened YouCam. No change.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:52 AM

I know I could probably just go buy an external webcam, but it rankles to go buy something that supposedly came with my laptop.

I understand that, but the externals are usually better. Just got one in this week for $6.99, with free shipping, a Logitech. Both of my externals were grabbed at promo pricing & are superior than that of the inbuilt ones, are used primarily for motion detection of the room where my computers are. This was a new, unused item, as described & shipped fast. I had to download the drivers from Logitech. But haven't installed it on Windows 7 or 8 yet. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370626212923

Have you tried downloading the driver fresh & reinstalling? I can't put a finger on it because am not there, normally there a keyboard combo (often Fn+one of the F keys) to open the webcam application. 

And was there any recent change of anything right before this? Changes of security, other software installed, infection, computer dropped, or any notable event? 

I don't use these built in webcams because of the crappy images & no range of motion, but they work when called upon & show in the Device Manager, have never had one to fail. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 13 August 2014 - 03:07 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 nightheron12

nightheron12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:41 AM

I found on the Lenovo website the fn shortcut, and it didn't do anything. I guess I didn't realize that external cameras were that cheap - I was under the impression that decent ones were all at least 25 bucks.

I did update my Norton a couple of weeks ago, but because I so rarely use my webcam, I can't nail down a more precise timeline of when it stopped working.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,582 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

Try the following to "allow" your cam in your newly updated Norton....just substitute the name of your cam where it says lws200.exe...

Bring up the main UI, (click the icon in your system tray next to your clock), go to settings, firewall, program rules, check to see what Logitech executeable is trying to connect, it might be named "lws200.exe", on the drop down menu, select allow then apply, then close out of the Norton UI and see if your webcam works correctly. If that does not work, I would try resetting your firewall rules under setting

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:27 AM

Are there any messages in your Action Center regarding this device? You can choose to "View all problem reports". There may be something related to the webcam in these. It could have been that a Windows Update that knocked out function. 

Normally the good ones are over $25, but this isn't cast into stone. I catch them on promo, never do I pay full price for accessories or software. Never. The first one I bought was normally a $49.99 one on the Newegg site for $10. There was a limit of 5, had I known how good it was, would have bought 5. I did go back & tried to buy a couple more, but since I used the promo code once, it wouldn't take, they call it "stacking". 

However most of the lower cost options that are of a good brand are better than what ships with the computer. Logitech is a premier corporation & makes great products. When it was first released, I'm fairly certain it cost more than $25. Everyone is different, on some accessories, I don't need the current version & this applies to webcams too. 

But keep in mind, I'm not trying to sell you anything, just pointed out an inexpensive option. 

Are others on the Lenovo forum saying anything about the webcams being buggy? Sometimes this happens to a lot of customers & there may be a posted or pending fix on the way. I use their forum from time to time myself, for my 10 year old Thinkpad. 

Speaking of which, there are problems with the webcam on this model. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-U310-built-in-camera-doesn-t-work/td-p/1009327

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/U310-Problems-with-Webcam/td-p/817299

Here's a topic with the first poster having underneath, "Solved! Go to Solution", but no page opens. 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/My-Ideapad-U310-doesn-t-work-and-doesn-t-show-me-the-webcamera/m-p/1497928#M118174

There are issues with the webcam on this model, you may have to be proactive in finding a solution. 

Cat

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,582 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

i kid you not......our timing is incredible !

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

As Condobloke has noted, sometimes security can mess with these settings. Especially the Firewall software. I don't know about Norton, but do have to make adjustments for Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall to allow a webcam & some other connected accessories to run. 

BTW, that's not a bad $6.99 webcam, I just plugged in into my PC, am on Linux Mint 17 now, no drivers were needed, as Linux has many built in. Look at the picture I took of my cat with it. 

Webcam-1407915725.png

May look better on Windows 7, once I have it setup with the software. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users