Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown malware disabled my browsers, locked anti-malware programs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alyab123

Alyab123

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

I can not do the prework because my browsers are incapacitated, so I can't download anything.The PC indicates that my web connection - DSL - is functioning properly. I don't know if it is safe to insert a flashdrive in order to bring the required programs to my pc, and post the results using my relative's pc. Is there a way to prevent malware from infecting the flashdrive?

I am using a relative's desktop PC in order to communicate here. I still have windows XP SP3 on my desktop pc and I finally got a virus despite what I thought was safe surfing, using a limited account. I have Avast free but it did not detect anything. My superantispyware is "locked" and my malwarebytes free stops responding.  So I don't know what infection I have. I use Online Armor firewall, but it did not prompt me about any new program. It is set to always notify me, even when running something I have allowed in the past. Whatever it is, also got passed K-9 web protection which filters all of my PC use. I am putting a lot of disjointed information that may be helpful into this post, simply because of my need to go back and forth between two houses in my particular situation. (About a 5 minute walk). I normally would not put all of this into one initial post. I understand that the system works better when one detail at a time is presented upon your request. Please understand that I won't be able to provide bits of information without returning home for each request!

My last action before this problem appeared was an Avast boot scan - that was set to do a complete scan including startups, My C drive, and pretty much anything included in the scanning options. For all I know this virus is making my Avast free blind. I tried a system restore point that pre-dates my avast boot scan, but the problem remains. As I type here, an earlier system restore point is being attempted at my home PC, but I don't have much faith that will work. Another resource that I have are registry backups created by ccleaner last week. I don't quite know how to use them.

I only use Firefox, Palemoon, and rarely chrome. I have not opened Internet Explorer 8 in a long time, and it is intentionally blocked from connecting to the web.

My last downloaded and installed program was the Palemoon browser, about 1 1/2 weeks ago. which I know I downloaded from a safe location, not some random downloading site. The browser has provided numerous updates since then, but it did not raise any suspicions with me. I also opened a few PDFs with palemoon in recent days. I watched some video clips, which may have used something other than flashplayer, but they were on sites I trusted. I also overrode script blocking by noscript a few times in the recent past :( . Lastly, I started using logging in to discus to comment on a blog in the last few days. I have been accessing this blog for many years, without ever logging in.

Anything I try will require me to get instructions here, and then go back home and try to follow the instructions, and then come back with the results. I have no access to a portable device, such as a laptop.

I do have some applications still on my pc from a previous problem. One of those tools is MiniToolBox which is sitting on my desktop. I can look for others that you may suggest. Again, I don't want to infect my friend's pc. She has windows 7 with security essentials as her virus protection. She also has iobit malware fighter, advanced system care 7.2 free and malwarebytes free available as backup malware scanners. Can I use any of these to prevent my malware from infecting her desktop?

Unfortunately I do not have a backup image, because I was never able to create a working bootable image rescue disk to work on my PC, and I gave up. I have an image, but it's useless without the rescue disk.  I also tried but was unsuccessful at making a bootable USB with Linux, because my PC is a bit old, and does not recognize a USB drive formatted with Fat32.

I have a flashdrive with 2 portable malware scanners on them. Do you recommend that I try to run them? One is ClamWinPortable, and the other is Emisoft emergency kit. Again, I don't want to infect the flashdrive. Is this a chance I need to take at this point in order to attack my problem? Are there better portable malware scanners available, if indeed you believe I SHOULD plug in the USB despite the risk?

Is there anything I should check on my PC that will perhaps provide you with valuable information?

What step(s) do you reccomend I try? My only limitation is to make sure I don't infect my friend's PC.

Obviously, I'm trying to avoid reinstalling my OS... especially since it will put me back to XP SP1!

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide, and for reading this long post. Financial constraints have kept me on XP. I am working toward upgrading in the near future.

Edited by Alyab123, 12 August 2014 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alyab123

Alyab123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

DON'T READ MY POST!

system restore worked!

how do I close this thread as solved??

#3 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users