Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sys Crash, Trying To Save Hard Drive Data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 727scott

727scott

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

my h/p shows operating system not found. i'm running xp home but cannot repair. a friend made the hdrive a slave and put xp on a different hdrive, but no luck in transferring files or even viewing bad hdrive. it did show up in "my computer" though but unable to do anything with it.

question? is there a online program that can trouble shoot or fix sectors on a hdrive as its running in the slave position. i was told my sectors are bad.

i'd really like to get photo's off the drive before having to reformat.

thanks for any help 727scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

Try running chkdsk on the drive: chkdsk X: /f
Replace the X with the letter of the drive.

#3 727scott

727scott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

no luck running chkdsk, my system doesn't recognize the bad hdrive now.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

There is probably test software downloadable from the support site of whatever manufacturer made the hd.

#5 727scott

727scott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

windows still doesn't recognize the hdrive but i did get it to show in the setup and chkdsk ran and ran stating too many bad sectors. i also went to western digital and used their data lifeguard diagnostics check it failed also due to too many bad sectors. the "smart" status says not available.

i'm sure the hdrive has a virus (too many probably) any other online tips out there before i have to spend more on fixing the drive than i paid for it?

lost 727scott out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users