Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! I disabled my mouse.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alyab123

Alyab123

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

I am using windows xp sp3, and finally got a virus. I will deal with that in the appropriate forum. I am not typing from my own pc, because my browsers do not work despite the fact that my pc says my connection is working. I am at a relative's house.

Please bear with me, as I try to remember what I did that disabled my mouse. I was foolishly looking around my pc, to see if there's any obvious nefarious program that doesn't belong there. Big Mistake. I should have done nothing, and came for malware help at the time.  One of the places I looked at for some reason was the device manager. I saw a device that I've never seen before, and I have not installed any hardware in a long time. To the best of my memory, it was some sort of "USB Human interface device", with 3 sub items. It has an icon that I NEVER saw before, so it got my attention right away. My mouse  device still showed my correct mouse with drivers as working. My keyboard also showed up with proper drivers as working. So I became suspicious that this was possibly part of the virus that has taken over my PC.

Obviously I was wrong, now that I can do a search it seems that this is a genuine device driver, although I don't know how it got onto my PC, and why. The sub-items below it had an option to "disable". I figured I'd try to see if disabling this unknown "thing" would free up my browsers to work again. Desperate people do dumb things sometimes. I know better than to touch things when I don't know what they are. I ALWAYS research things before changing them. But I was locked out of researching, and I figured it would be reversible... so I clicked on disable for the first item, as you figured out, I disabled my mouse. The item completely dissappeared, so now there are only two items left. One of them now has a red mark. Apparently these drivers were controlling my mouse and keyboard in place of the drivers I've had on my PC for years.

I am going to go back and try to see if I can get back to the device drivers using keyboard controls of the mouse. I can not download anything onto my PC, because my browsers are incapacitated by a virus that has also locked me out of two backup malware detectors that I have. Again, that problem I will deal with. But I need to get my mouse working again. As I said before, the Mouse Device shows that it has a driver for my mouse that is working. Assuming I can move around using my keyboard, is there any way to redirect my pc to use the driver it always used? Should I completely delete this USB Human Interface device? Will that cause my computer to consider my mouse to be new hardware, and assign it the default generic driver - or even the driver that is installed and "working" right there on the device list under the Mouse device?

What can I do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Hello,

We can see if we can enable the HID device.

Hold down the Windows key + Pause

This will bring up the System Properties Dialog Window. Use the left or right arrow keys to highlight the Hardware tab. At the Hardware tab press the Tab key until Device Manager is highlighted. Press Enter.

Press the Tab key. This will highlight the computer name. Press the down arrow key until you get to the disabled device and it is highlighted. If the Device has a + mark next to it press the right arrow key to expand the Device. If you make a mistake you can back out by pressing the the left arrow key. Press the down arrow key to highlight the subcategory. Press Enter. Use the left or right arrow key to select the General tab if it is not active. Once the General tab is active press the tab key to highlight the Device Usage (enable/disable) box. Use the left or right arrow key to enable the device. Then press the tab key to highlight the okay button and press enter.

Press Alt+F to bring up the file menu bar. Use the down arrow key to select Exit then Enter.

Now at the desktop. If the mouse is not detected press the Windows key + R. This will bring up the run box. In the run box type 

shutdown -r   Then press Enter

This will shutdown the computer and restart

Hope this works for you.

#3 Alyab123

Alyab123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

Thank you for responding. I think I didn't disable the device. I disabled one of the 3 subcategories listed under it, which apparently was the mouse, and the driver that was currently being used by my mouse. That subcategory completely disappeared when I clicked "disable". It is no longer there to enable it! There are currently only 2 subcategories remaining.

That is why I questioned whether I should completely remove this device so windows has to detect it again, and use default drivers. I really don't know where this device came from in the first place. I was previously using the individual Mouse and Keyboard Devices, and they were working fine.

In the current state, the device is still there but the mouse subcategory is missing. I already tried restarting the computer but it did not re-detect the mouse. Maybe I have to remove the whole device??

Edited by Alyab123, 12 August 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#4 Alyab123

Alyab123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:38 AM

I'm not sure why, but on the next restart, the mouse did indeed start working again. No notice about detected hardware occured though.

well, that's all, this problem is solved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users