Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading To New System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 epson

epson

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Looking to change my setup soon & would like to backup & load the info onto new Computer.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:11 PM

First off, you won't be able to save the OS installation and the installed programs. They need to be reinstalled on your new machine.

You can save you settings and any files that are in My Documents. To use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard create a new folder on your hard drive. This is where you will tell the Wizard to put the info. Start the Wizard by: Start > All Programs > Accessaries > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard > Next button

Select Old Computer > Next and wait for the scan. Click the option Other and browse to the folder that you created previously. Click Next. The backup procedure might take up to 10 minutes depending on how many files you have stored.

Burn this backup folder to a CD or copy it to another disk or partition that you will have access to after the new system is set up. Run the wizard again and select New Computer and browse to the stored folder for reading and reinstalling.

#3 epson

epson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Many thanks Pascor22234,

This is just the info I needed.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic