Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor and GPU compatibility for gaming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aarchis

Aarchis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hello guys! I'd like to let everybody know that i know verry little of coumputers and hardware so don't be harsh on me if my question does not make lot of sense.

So, 3 years ago i decided to buy a new gaming computer, so i could play all the new and resource thirsty games like Crysis, GTA IV etc. My knowledge on pc's was limited to the knowledge that i need good processor. So, long story short, the end product i bough was AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2,80 Ghz(seemed like super stong stuff at that time to me), 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 440(card suggested by merchant i bought from).

The thing is i could run all the games, but mostly on low/medium settings and on laughable framerates.( I am totally used to run new games at 15 -  20 FPS, hearing somebody playing games on 30 fps is like a fairytale. :D) Some people i've talked to have said that it's GT 440 fault, because it's not even a card primarily meant for gaming. Now, i am looking forward to buy and play games like Watch Dogs, AC5, GTAV etc., but i am just not sure if i will be able to run them on my rig. So the question is, how good actually is my processor? And how good is my video card? If the processor is fine, then what video card is suggested i buy for it so i could have the best possible experience( i assume that GT 440 really is a crap for nowadays gaming).

Thank you all in advance! :)

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2014 - 07:29 PM.
Moved from IH to System Building/Updgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

The processor is just OK IMO.  It has six cores which make it quite good for multi-threaded applications.  But single thread performance (the performance from one core, which is still quite important in many applications and games) is a bit weak compared to current FX processors which can run at a much higher clock speed, and very much weaker than Intel processors like the i5-4690K.

Some comparisons for you, which might help..

CPU Boss - Phenom II 1055T vs FX6350  CPU Boss - Phenom II 1055T vs i5-4690K

The video card as you've said is not suitable for anything other than casual gaming with undemanding games.

Some more comparisons against some examples of current GPU's suitable for gaming..

GPU Boss - GT440 vs Radeon R9-270X  GPU Boss - GT440 vs Nvidia GTX760  GPU Boss - GT440 vs Nvidia GTX770

I feel the most noticeable and cost effective gain would be achieved by adding another 4Gb RAM (for 8Gb total) and upgrading the video card for a decent current model.  This will allow you to play most existing games at reasonable frame rates.  The CPU and motherboard upgrade is a lot more work and expense, but might be the way to go for the latest and most demanding titles.

As for which video card, it's really dependant on your budget, and going too far will likely result in the GPU being "bottlenecked" in some applications by your current CPU, which might struggle to keep up.  If your current PSU is marginal, then upgrading the video card might also need the power supply to be upgraded.

Some of the games you've mentioned are extremely demanding in terms of hardware requirements, and to get them running well ideally you'll need a top of the line current processor and video card.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

I agree with jonuk76, your cpu is ok (there are much faster ones), but it will still run most games well enough for now. I ran GTA IV with a amd phenom x4 955be, which is quad core at 3.2GHz with crossfire  amd 4890's and my frame rates were pretty good, I think average was right around 45fps on max settings. Now with my 4770k and a single 7970 my frame rate is around 60fps average. I had the same 8gb of ram for both computers both running at 1080p resolution.

The best upgrade is definitely a better video card. Then as jonuk76 mentioned, adding another 4gb of ram will also help in most situations.

If you get a new video card, you may also need a larger power supply. Most new gaming video cards are going to require a power supply somewhere around 550watts minimum with other hardware.

Let us know your current power supply wattage and a budget (how much do you want to spend) and we can help you pick out a card and psu.

Edited by zingo156, 14 August 2014 - 07:48 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Aarchis

Aarchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

I was hoping to spend no more than a new last-gen console cost(ps3). That would be about 220 EUR or  ~290$. If i had to spend more, than i'd just rather buy ps3 and also get to play some of the exclusives on that particular console.

But pc has always been my favourite so if 'd be able to upgrade it within ~290$ budget and i could decently play new games, then that would be my primary option.

My PSU wattage is 550.

Thank you guys for your replies!

Edited by Aarchis, 16 August 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well with that sort of budget a video card like the AMD R9-270X (which will massively outperform what you have now) and a RAM upgrade is something that could be done I think.  The full upgrade route will be substantially over budget.

The PSU wattage is high enough, but note that card needs 2 x PCIe 6 pin connectors.  Hopefully whoever built it used a reasonable quality PSU.  Sometimes unfortunately it's an area where costs are cut... Are there any marks identifying make/model of PSU?  Or sticker showing the Amp ratings at various voltages?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users