Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Facebook Messenger really killing your privacy /spying on you?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

If you have an Android, you are probably aware of the forced migration to messenger. I couldn't install it myself until I bought a Google play card because it requires some kind of payment/account verification despite it being free. upon installing. it requires every permission known to Google play. my local news says there is no privacy on the app. plus on Facebook, has conservative political pages up in arms. some report your giving them permission to spy on you, look at your photos on the device, make phone calls, send text messages, the list goes on. all from your phone without your consent.

is all this really true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

I see the battle lines being drawn. It all depends on which articles you read and or trust. I see it as question only you can answer for yourself. Whats acceptable to you, may or may not be acceptable to me. Likewise, what I have no problem with may be highly unacceptable to you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 painfullregistry

painfullregistry

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

If you want to be more private,just go on facebook from browser and don't use any apps. I use an older factory app with less permissions and sign out afterwards. I still use messaging without having to use new app. When you do open facebook,be sure to go thru every possible setting available,just open menu and open every link one by one.you can make yourself virtually hidden except for who you ok. Most permissions are needed,but could be abused at some point,so Google the issue,there is tons of information about this subject. Look at security websites too. And I have an app called "mypermissions" which is free in playstore. They can scan all your online accounts as well as your apps. You do have to sign in to those,but is perfectly legit in order to scan those accounts. They explain all this satisfactorily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users