Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive: last week 60GB free space, today <10GB!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

I have not installed any programs on my C drive since last week. last week I had 60GB free space on my laptop of a 150GB hard drive with only the same programs (minus three large programs) that was on my 120GB hard drive before that! now my computer reports less than 10GB free when my 120GB had 30GB free with the exact setup! where is my space going & how do I get my 60GB back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

1) Please scan your system with BOTH your installed anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes

2) Use Disc Cleanup. Be sure to click on the "More Options" tab and then system restore button, which will delete all but the most recent restore point (system restore eats a LOT of space).

3) Download, install and run TreeSize and see where the space is being utilized (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/)

#3 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

My AV runs automatically at 2AM every day. I went to Disk Cleanup, it says my "temporary files" are 70GB! why is it so huge?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have no idea - I can't see your temp folder from here :)...

Open your temp folder and see what the files are. Also, please follow my advice above and run a full scan with MalwareBytes

#5 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

I ran malwarebytes, all that came up is one false positive that I know about on a SONY Acid patch

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

Okay. Then go ahead and see what's in your temp folder. If the files aren't there (and from what you said above they should be), use treesize to see where they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users