Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick question about hard drive connections

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 forest bayou

forest bayou

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

I have a SATA 1TB hard drive that I want to put in my Latitude D810, but the connections are different. Would I have to replace the motherboard to get the right physical connection, or am I doomed from the start?

This next part is non-required reading.

The rest of the story: I have a laptop (inspiron 1535) that my kids use. It is in bad shape, physically, but has a 1-yr-old 1TB SATA hard drive. I found a Latitude D810 for sale cheap because it is "very slow". I figured I could pull the hard drive from the Inspiron and put it in the Latitude. Problem solved, right? I should have known better.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

From what I see...SATA drives are not supported in a system designed almost 10 years ago.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19181444.aspx

I consider changing a motherboard on a laptop major surgery and when you consider the age of the system...if'ts probably not the smart direction to move towards, IMO.  New board normally entails new RAM, IME...possibly other expenditures.  And...MS considers a change of motherboard to be a new system, thus your license to install Windows would not apply.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users