Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to detect Network Adapter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aberrant

Aberrant

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

My aunt's computer cannot connect to the internet. Her network's notification icon on the taskbar was marked by the red 'x' and indicated as 'unplugged'. I checked the 'device manager' and the network driver was not installed on the system, so I downloaded the LAN driver on the internet for her motherboard's model and I then installed the driver. But in the middle of the installation an error occurred that says "Unable to detect network adapter/ Cannot detect network adapter".

DKM2Ngy.png

Motherboard: http://dynaquestpc.com/product/redfox-rf-a55f2m3-amd-a55-chipset/

I've done several steps in ensuring that it was just a glitch on the pc's software, so I already run through these steps:

• Onboard LAN was already 'enabled' in the BIOS,
  • In windows 'system information', the network adapter was not also detected and it indicates as 'unavailable',
  • I already used 'speccy' which checks system's hardware information and the 'network adapter' was also marked as 'unavailable',
  • I already booted up a  live 'Ubuntu Linux' inside my flash drive and still I can't connect to the internet and still gave me the same results.

Based on the performed steps, the immediate doubt that comes out to my mind was that, it maybe the 'Onboard network adapter' on the motherboard itself that causes the problem (maybe it was fried or shorted?). Currently I am planning to buy a 'PCI LAN Card' insert it on the PC and maybe that could the problem.

But I still need you expertise guys on what's your advice/suggestions/recommendations regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I believe your problem is due to not having the chipset driver installed. On an AMD board, the chipset drivers include the LAN driver and your Network Adapter will not show up in Device Manager if the chipset driver is not installed.

Go here and install the chipset driver depending on your OS.

Edit: I reread your post and if Ubuntu cannot see the network adapter, your network chip may be bad.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 August 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi Aberrant and :welcome:

So this is not official website I think.

I found this:

http://www.myredfoxsupport.com/rf-a55f2m3.html

Lan driver is RAR file and inside there is Atheros Ethernet driver and Realtek.

Thank you!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Sounds like you have a bad onboard NIC, you can visually inspect the port for shorting or bent pins, if there are bent pins try to bend them back carefully. Otherwise pci or usb NIC's are cheap.

Edited by zingo156, 12 August 2014 - 11:53 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Have you checked if the issue is solved through "windows update"? Usually that will pick up the correct LAN driver.

Good luck.

Edited by masterthemachines, 12 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#6 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hello JohnC_21!

Yes I already did install the Chipset driver for this motherboard (I actually installed it twice to make it sure it will work.) but still the problem persists.

#7 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hello Alex&Vanko!

I tried both 32 and 64 bit drivers for Realtek(Default) and Atheros yet in the middle of the installation always pop's up for "Unable to detect network adapter"

#8 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

UPDATE

Just this morning the PC was unable boot. The CPU fan is working as well as the lights but there's no display on the screen. I already cleaned the RAM (inserted it already on both slots) and I also re-inserted all the connections (All of the power supply cables) as well as the HDD and yet still no display on the screen,

Prior to that problem before the PC was unbootable it was already having problems booting up. Like, it takes 2-3 minutes before the splash screen appears.

Given these symptoms, I guess the main culprit of this problem is that the Motherboard is damaged/broken???

Edited by Aberrant, 13 August 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Definitely sounds like a problem with the motherboard with the previous symptoms and now no post, visually inspect it for blown or bulging capacitors examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+blown+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zKbsU-yZIsuBygS0sYLYBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=766

If you see any bad capacitors then replacing the motherboard is recomended. Also check your video card (if you have one) for bad caps as well. It is possible that something else is the cause such as a bad power supply, bad stick of ram (if you have 2 try each alone in all slots), etc...

Try this: disconnect all non essential hardware, hard drives, dvd drives, pci/pci-e cards (use onboard video if you have it). Just leave the psu, cpu/cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram, and the motherboard plugged in. Then plug in a monitor and power on, see if it posts. Any component can cause problems.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

UPDATE (Fixed)

The "Motherboard" was replaced with a new one and now everything works fine again. It was definitely the main board that causes these issues. Thanks everyone for helping.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users