Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP from email header?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 volvoxoblongata

volvoxoblongata

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:20 AM

Hello guys,

I have a quick question regarding IP information in email headers.

I've been emailing with someone, and in the last email, the person revealed the town I live in.

I haven't given any info at all, not on my location or name for that matter. It's basically a stranger with no possibility to know me or anyone close to me.

I understand when I log in to write an email, the IP of the sender is in the email header. But when I check my IP, it doesn't reveal my town but a total different location so I am trying to work out how this was obtained and if there is something I can do about it, or if I should be worried about anything at all? I don't want a stranger showing up near where I live.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

The IP address is based on where you logged in (if you're using POP e-mail), or the actual server location, if you're using webmail (e.g. Yahoo).  So:

1.  You live in city ABC, your ISP when you log on established your connection in city XYZ.  The IP will be in city XYZ.  The next time you log on, if your ISP has servers in your town, then it could be city ABC.

2.  If you log into webmail (e.g. gmail), then it will be the IP of the webmail server.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

What service did you use to geolocate your IP address?

You haven't shared anything else with this person, for example pictures? They contain EXIF data that can reveal the GPS coordinates where the picture was taken.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users