Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to restore bad sector data?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

I've had this small patch on my laptop for 6+months of bad sector data consisting of 16kb, the damage hasn't spread and I have done some research on recovering bad sector data but with no luck. I'm generally one of those paranoid people about using specific data recovery tools unless I'm 100% sure it's safe. Anyway I digress, is there any possible way to recover this bad patch of data?
Attached File  Bad Sector data.PNG   48.34KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2014 - 05:49 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Using the /R switch on chkdsk will run a surface scan which will attempt to recover information from bad sectors.  For example, chkdsk /r c:  will run the command on the c: drive.  As it is a system drive, it will say that the drive is in use and offer to schedule it to run at the next start up.  Note that scans with the /R switch can take a long time.

Any bad sectors found will then be marked as unusable so nothing is written to them in future.  As bad sectors are a physical problem with the disk, there is no way to make them "good" again once they've been found to be "bad".

Running diagnostic software like Seatools for DOS (which runs from a bootable CD) will allow you to assess the overall health of the drive.  It is by Seagate but works with any brand of disk.

Edited by jonuk76, 12 August 2014 - 07:36 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users