Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU spiking up & down randomly; freeze 1-10 seconds.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Soldja

Soldja

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:22 AM

Greetings All,

For the past few days my computer's performance has been pretty horrible; the instability is constant no matter what. The lag is usually 1-3 seconds but sometimes i've lagged in games for about 10 seconds sometimes. Even on the lowest settings possible on games that dont require much power. Allow me to list the things i've noticed and done to resolve this myself (not necessarily in order).

1. Ran full system scan with norton 360, combofix, & malwarebytes, not much of anything found.

2. Started system in safe boot, noticed the freezing and lag was still on-going.

3. Updated Intel & nvidia drivers to latest version

4. Disabled most of non-windows essential start-up programs.

5. Observed CPU temperature does not go above 45 C, even while gaming. Stays around 35 C when idle.

6. Blew all dust out of PC, off all devices & fans.

7. Ran registry cleaner of Norton

8. Defraggler says my main HDD with everything installed only has 6% fragmentation and is in good health status.

9. Cleaned all temp files and installed latest win 7 updates

10. Noticed spikes and dips in Disk's resource management.

11. Usually the CPU drops to 0% activity, even when running chrome and background programs & games, but sometimes it will jump to 100% or something ridiculously high randomly. Both cause system to freeze.

Here are my specs below:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 

Intel® Core™ i5 CPU         760  @ 2.80GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2048 MB

16GB DDR3 RAM

232 GB / 1862 GB on HDD

Since it happened during safe boot im leaning towards it being a hardware issue (CPU or HDD mainly) or perhaps i need to reinstall Windows. Im not happy with either options but I cant stand this freezing and lagging when doing activities on my PC. 

Whatever you guys suggest or want me to do i'm down, thanks for your help again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CPU.jpg   203.88KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  CPU.jpg   49.47KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  CPU.jpg   169.14KB   0 downloads

Edited by Soldja, 12 August 2014 - 06:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Hi there! :)

Here's couple of things I would like you to do:

- Press win+r, type in eventvwr and press enter. In Event Viewer I'd like you to expand "Windows logs" tree >> right click on an Application log >> choose Save all events as >> application.evtx . I also would like you to do same thing with the System log and save it as system.evtx, then .zip both of these files and upload them somewhere so I can inspect them.

- To make sure everything is ok with the HDD, download & install Passmark DiskCheckup and paste a screenshot from this application from the SMART Info tab.

- Clear CMOS with the jumper on a motherboard (please consult the manual of your motherboard for detailed instruction on how to do that)

- See if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your motherboard and install them (but clear CMOS before you do that, do an upgrade, and then reset CMOS again) [consult your motherboard manual for the instruction for BIOS/UEFI upgrade]..

Totally on the side, think of the circumstances when it all started happening, I mean if the problem came all of the sudden or if there was anything unusual before it.

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 12 August 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#3 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

Greetings Pocket Pocket,

Thank you for giving me a hand here.

I've uploaded the screenshot of the S.M.A.R.T. tab of the program you suggested, as well as linked the zip file of my logs also. I have to step out for work but when i get back in a few hours i will definitely jump the CMOS and install the latest update for my mobo (I should have thought of that while doing intel  updates durr lol).

P.S. I did a quick browse through of some of the system errors i was getting and noticed alot about it saying bad sectors on my HDD. I am not familiar enough with DiskCheckup or the information displayed to know if the things it reads are good or bad but seeing all that red from the system logs about bad sectors definitely doesnt look good. Odd since Defraggler says its healthy. *shrug*

Thanks again for your assistance Pocket. Again, i'll check back here when I get back from work and will be sure to reset cmos and do mobo update and/or whatever you recommend after seeing the logs.

Edit: Also, there was nothing i recently installed or configured that i think could contribute; i usually just do the same things on this PC. Game and watch youtube & netflix. The only recent program i installed before these issues began occuring is netlimiter 3 because my wireless is pretty poor and steam was using all my tiny bandwidth. No hardware changes or any changes to the OS.

Dmj8zCj.jpg

Logs: https://www.mediafire.com/?df2d7cn1l78id3o

Edited by Soldja, 12 August 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#4 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Well, I have bad news. Even without checking the Event Viewer logs I can tell you that your HDD is almost dead. Check parameter number 5, C5 and C6. Number 5 indicates sectors which were bad. SMART marked them as "reallocated" and moved the data to spare sectors, that's why there were no visible symptoms for such a long time. C5 and C6 indicate that there are more sectors which are bad, but they can't be reallocated because there is no more spare sectors available. As for freezes, BC Command Timeout parameter indicates that there were problems with connection between motherboard and hard drive, this means that possibly:

- SATA cable is damaged

- your power supply couldn't give enough power to the HDD

So now, your main priority is BACKUP OF ALL DATA! Do it fast, because there is no way to predict when the hard drive will completely stop working. Also, show me the SMART Info tab from the other 2 drives you have.

EDIT:

As far as the logs can reach, the problems with the HDD were reported by Windows since February, so it was slowly building up :(

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 12 August 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#5 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Ha, yknow Pocket I am actually kinda relieved to at least have an answer :) . I dont so much mind replacing the HD, im glad to have a piece of mind because i felt like i was going insane with troubleshooting and trying this and that. Im headed to my local IT store to pickup a WD black 3TB HDD. Gonna check the warranty on this HDD when i swap them out. 

Also, do you believe the PSU is okay if it has been working for years before? Im going to be getting new SATA cables along with the new HDD but was kinda curious; i guess time will tell. Also i've attached a SS of one of my external HDs, i know the other one is crap, defraggler tells me that much; im probably going to toss it out once i install the new HDD (only has 250GB total & is 10+ years old). Anyhow the one I did upload i use quite often so that one giving out would make me sad lol.

Thanks for your guidance and assistance so far Pocket, really appreciate it.

yUla7xq.jpg

#6 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

What is the model of your PSU? The other hard drive is in good condition, however it's Seagate. I don't trust Seagate since their hard drivers are dying quickly for me. :D WD Black Edition is a good choice, their drives are in my opinion one of the most reliable. 

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 12 August 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#7 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

I've had that Seagate for about 3 years or so; hasnt given me many issues so far. Glad to know its not showing signs of death lol.

My PSU is an OCZ 600W

Model: OCZ600MXSP

Also, i've gotten my new HDD, going to use this acronis software they have available and switch things over once it images my C drive. Im hoping things will be cleared up after the full transition; but again, only time will tell.

#8 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:02 AM

To be honest, it's really hard to tell if the PSU is fine, without checking the Voltages when idle and during stress test using multimeter. Don't do it by yourself though, because if something goes wrong, you risk frying the PSU or whole computer, or much worse... electrocution. Instead you can take your computer to a local repair shop, they should be able to do it for you.

Doing the image of this bad hard drive isn't very good idea, because there might be damaged system/program files and you might end up doing clean install anyway. Just to make sure everything is okay, please do the following after the new hard drive is up and running with the image restored:

In the "Search programs and files"  bar on Start Menu type cmd. Then, right click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator. Command line window will pop up, type there sfc /scannow and wait patiently for the tool to finish its job. :)  (Please, have the Windows 7 SP1 installation DVD ready, as the tool might ask for it) This will scan all system files and replace any bad ones if needed.

As for damaged 3rd party software, there is no tool to check it. ;) If something won't work, you will need to reinstall it.

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 13 August 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#9 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

So the image completed; booted up like normal as far as the image working. However while running from the new HDD the spike still occurs so i guess a clean install is indeed needed.

I also did run sfc /scannow and it stated it didnt find any integrity violations.

So my plan now is to use windows easy transfer to take things off the new HDD and back to the old one till this is done (*sigh*). I'll update you once this is done. After all this is done i'll see how it handles and determine if i need to take my PC to the shop; im reluctant to do it cuz they charge for every damn thing.

#10 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

Are the freezes gone though? Which process is causing this CPU usage spike? I don't think that going back to old HD is necessary, as there is no proof that PSU is faulty.

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 13 August 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#11 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

It would seem the freezes are less occuring but I dont believe they are completely gone; however the processor is still spiking when idling jumping all the way to 100% very briefly then falling down drastically. I just downloaded process explorer to see if i can find out if something is causing it; ill upload a screenshot of a big spike or dip when/if it happens again. Im going to try to play a game and put some load on the system.

Also, when i said i was going to put things on my old HDD i just mean the backup files from easy transfer, so i can repartition the new drive for a fresh install of windows than pull back my documents and programs; unless you think i should reinstall my programs as well. The image option as I said didnt seem to resolve the issue of the CPU spiking, atleast when looking at task manager; however the freezes dont appear to be as severe or often as before so often. I played marvel heroes earlier today (lowest settings) and it only slightly froze on the initial login screen; before i used to get apphangb error from windows but this wasnt the case. Going to try to restore it to high settings and test out another game just to see where i'm at with things.

Will keep you up to date soon. :)

Edit: Though i am more concerned when the CPU drops to 100% or to 0% as it used to do before, these dips and mini spikes are still somewhat bothersome to me, i uploaded a screenshot. There is no game or anything going on at the moment i took the screenshot.

pYeFaUX.jpg

Edited by Soldja, 13 August 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#12 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Well, you shouldn't really make any backups of installed programs, as they might not work correctly after reinstalling Windows. Using Process Explorer is a good idea, I was going to suggest it if you couldn't determine which process is behaving badly.

Eheheh, I must've misunderstood something about restoring the old HD, it's late here y'know...  :hysterical:

I will be waiting for an update ;)

#13 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

RVdhZlH.jpg

Welp, that didnt take too long as far as getting the CPU to jump.

So the only thing I did was start the game after applying higher settings, the CPU as you can see jumps to 100% and it reads marvel jumps up to 60-80% usage when these spikes occur. Marvel on its own should remain at about 15-25% of CPU usage (thats how it handled before). But again once im in the game i dont notice any dips or lag like before. Im perplexed...I hope when i do a clean install this subsides; also ill take your advice and just move over my documents and reinstall all the programs.

Edit: Also while in the game i notice the same behavior with it freezing attempting to load different areas in the game, like loading graphics of a map or area to explore; this also was the behavior it displayed before.

Edited by Soldja, 13 August 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#14 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

IMO, there's nothing unusual here. When the game was in low graphics mode, the CPU utilisation was lower and multi core rendering was off. Now, when you set graphic details to high, there is more stuff for CPU to handle and it now can use all 4 cores.

Please, show me a screenshot of processes list when the spike occurs when idle

#15 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Since windows easy transfer is still going on I dont know if it will be completely idle for awhile; but I've stopped the game and am only using chrome at the moment, two tabs.

I will keep an eye on process explorer and upload the next spike occurrence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users