For the past few days my computer's performance has been pretty horrible; the instability is constant no matter what. The lag is usually 1-3 seconds but sometimes i've lagged in games for about 10 seconds sometimes. Even on the lowest settings possible on games that dont require much power. Allow me to list the things i've noticed and done to resolve this myself (not necessarily in order).
1. Ran full system scan with norton 360, combofix, & malwarebytes, not much of anything found.
2. Started system in safe boot, noticed the freezing and lag was still on-going.
3. Updated Intel & nvidia drivers to latest version
4. Disabled most of non-windows essential start-up programs.
5. Observed CPU temperature does not go above 45 C, even while gaming. Stays around 35 C when idle.
6. Blew all dust out of PC, off all devices & fans.
7. Ran registry cleaner of Norton
8. Defraggler says my main HDD with everything installed only has 6% fragmentation and is in good health status.
9. Cleaned all temp files and installed latest win 7 updates
10. Noticed spikes and dips in Disk's resource management.
11. Usually the CPU drops to 0% activity, even when running chrome and background programs & games, but sometimes it will jump to 100% or something ridiculously high randomly. Both cause system to freeze.
Here are my specs below:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel® Core i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2048 MB
16GB DDR3 RAM
232 GB / 1862 GB on HDD
Since it happened during safe boot im leaning towards it being a hardware issue (CPU or HDD mainly) or perhaps i need to reinstall Windows. Im not happy with either options but I cant stand this freezing and lagging when doing activities on my PC.
Whatever you guys suggest or want me to do i'm down, thanks for your help again.
Edited by Soldja, 12 August 2014 - 06:05 AM.