Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I find proper monitor & driver info after a fresh install?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Ok, so I got my Win 7 Pro 64 installed on my laptop after replacing the hard drive.  Downloaded drivers from the HP website. Am in the process of configuring, loading anti-virus protection, and so on.

But, the monitor display is generic, and gives limited options for resolution.  Not anywhere near the options I used to have.  I cannot figure out a way to detect what monitor I have so that I can hopefully find the proper driver.

How can I find proper monitor & driver info after a fresh install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

Identify the monitor type and model, then from the Win Add hardware from the control panel, identify the monitor and let the WIN OS search the internet for the proper driver.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

By posting the laptop model first, the community would gain more information if the laptop is compatible with windows 7 or drivers are available. Also, after reinstalling windows, did you install the chipset first and video after?

Tekken

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Oops, sorry.  The laptop is an HP dv7t-6000

I believe I loaded the chipset first.  I loaded in the order they were on the screen where I got the drivers, which was here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5078661#N262

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

But, the monitor display is generic, and gives limited options for resolution.  Not anywhere near the options I used to have.  I cannot figure out a way to detect what monitor I have so that I can hopefully find the proper driver.

Do you refer to the laptop screen when you say monitor? What resolution options do you think is missing? Is it a control panel or just the Windows Screen Resolution right-click option?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#6 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

Did the AMD graphics drivers load correctly? If so, it should have automatically recognized your screen and set it to it's native resolution.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#7 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Yes, the laptop screen.

I used to have a whole slew of resolution options and now I have two... 800x600 and 1024x768.  I had it set before to something like 13xx x something.  I get the same limited option regardless if I go thru the control panel or right-click.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FWPWrBwdR1ma7l7QMznbfgH

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

Neither video driver appears to have installed - both video chips are using the standard Windows VGA drivers. Did both video driver packs appear to install?

Edited by Platypus, 11 August 2014 - 10:24 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

Ok, got it.  Somehow, the AMD driver did not completely download the first time, and I didn't catch it when trying to install that driver.  I re-downloaded it, installed it, and now everything looks good.

Thank you all.  You guys are great!

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Did you install the AMD HD driver? Ok, good to know you got it figured. Thank you also for posting back. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

:thumbup2:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users