Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error! can't initialize plug-ins directory. Please try again later.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mystikboy

mystikboy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

i really want my dropbox to work.

Problem first started when my dropbox files stopped syncing.

then when i downloaded the installer to reinstall dropbox, i kept getting the message "Error! can't initialize plug-ins directory. Please try again later."

i have since downloaded norton antivirus trial version, as well as used your windows repair ap, but to no avail.

Help will be greatly appreciated! thank you!

Please let me know if this is the incorrect forum to post this. apologies for any inconvenience!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

Uninstall dropbox. Go to folder where you have dropbox installed. (ex. C:\Program Files) and delete the dropbox folder if you have plugins in there and try to reinstall it. Did that help?

#3 mystikboy

mystikboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

thanks for the reply

dropbox is uninstalled already. but the installer still generates the same error message.

#4 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:44 AM

@Ste2ph, this won't help. Also, you're giving him wrong path, since Dropbox installs itself in %AppData%/Dropbox folder.

@mystikboy

1) Press win (windows logo key)+r on the keyboard, paste this in the window that will pop up: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 7 and press enter.
2) You will now have "Folder Search and options" window, where you should tick Show hidden files, folders and drives and then press Apply and then OK.

3) Press win+r again, type this: %userprofile% and press enter.

4) A window with your user profile will pop up, browse to the AppData\Local folder.

5) Right click on Temp folder, choose Properties, go to Security tab and press advanced.

6) Take a screenshot of what's in there and paste here.

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 12 August 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#5 mystikboy

mystikboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

Thanks for the assistance

Done.

here you go.

Attached Files

#6 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

And we probably just found the source of your problems. ;) Permissions on your Temp folder are wrong, change them to match mine, except with the last one - replace "Slavko" (this is my account name) with yours.

http://www.screencourier.com/image/40E466DA822EE695couzacth2t

After that, reboot the computer and see if Dropbox starts working. :)

EDIT:

Also, make sure that in "Owner" tab is your username listed as an owner of this folder. If it's not, change it.

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 12 August 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#7 mystikboy

mystikboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

my word, you are a genius!

thank you!!

#8 RD17

RD17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

Hey please activate the link about how the settings will be.....i.e

http://www.screencourier.com/image/40E466DA822EE695couzacth2t

can't get this bro.. pls help

#9 Hayder

Hayder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

@Ste2ph, this won't help. Also, you're giving him wrong path, since Dropbox installs itself in %AppData%/Dropbox folder.

@mystikboy

1) Press win (windows logo key)+r on the keyboard, paste this in the window that will pop up: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 7 and press enter.
2) You will now have "Folder Search and options" window, where you should tick Show hidden files, folders and drives and then press Apply and then OK.

4) A window with your user profile will pop up, browse to the AppData\Local folder.

5) Right click on Temp folder, choose Properties, go to Security tab and press advanced.

Thanks!, I know this is 4 years later, but really thank you, I've just registered in this website to thank you for your solution to the above problem.

#10 fraxxare

fraxxare

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:11 AM

it worked! i also made an account 4 years later just to say thanks

@mystikboy

TO CLARIFY:

Click your username, Click Edit, then click Full Control and make sure all the boxes are Checked.

That's it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users