Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Boot

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Gyro39

The Gyro39

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

First, just wanna say it's been a while since I've posted on here. I bought my parts on June 28th but I had to send back my mobo since it was defected which set me back 2 weeks. I was finally able to build my rig yesterday, on August 10th, 2014. My PC turned right on and I got to install my OS. Now downloading all the necessary drivers using the provided discs was all I had to do and it seemed like an easy process. Well, I wish it was. The Gigabyte disc had some drivers I needed to download so I downloaded them, but apparently the display driver on that disc made my screen have black lines on the log in screen after reboot. This forced me to go into safe mode and undo changes. I finally used my brain and installed just the network driver, so I could access the internet and download the AMD Catalyst package which contained the latest AMD display drivers. Went through the motions and rebooted. Now after the Windows boot screen my display was black. I couldn't log in because of this, so I had to go to Safe Mode and do another System Restore. Here are my specs:

CPU - AMD FX-8320 8 Core processor 3.5Ghz

Motherboard - Gigabyte 970A-UD3P

Video Card - XFX R9-280 3GB with Double Dissipation

PSU - EVGA 600B

RAM - Cosair Vengeance 2x4GB (8GB)

HDD - Seagate 1 TB 

ODD - Samsung DVD Burner

OS - Windows 7 64 bit

I really hope the card is still good because it's past 30 days and I really don't want to shell out more money. Just want to use this rig

Also, some pics (sorry for bad quality):

6oULda8.jpg

This was after installing the stuff from the Gigabyte disc.I tried to log on but the screen would turn blue(not BSOD)

VAPjP1y.jpg

After installing the AMD Display Driver

For tl;dr's 

AMD display driver/Catalyst package causes screen to go black after boot up screen

Edited by The Gyro39, 11 August 2014 - 11:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

Did you check for loose connections, reseat cables and video card on slot or if the video card has an extra 4/8 pin power connector just in case?

Tekken

#3 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Did you check for loose connections, reseat cables and video card on slot or if the video card has an extra 4/8 pin power connector just in case?

Yes, that's already been done. I'm starting to think that it may be a software issue after all. Can a mod rename this to "AMD display drivers causes black screen after boot up" or something along the lines of that? Mod Edit:  Modified topic title - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#4 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Does anyone have remedies to this issue? I've done just about everything you can do so far and done a lot of research with no real solution.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove completely any leftovers then reinstall the correct and latest AMD driver from support site.

Tekken

#6 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove completely any leftovers then reinstall the correct and latest AMD driver from support site.

I probably should've mentioned it in the original post but I've done this numerous times. XFX suggested the same thing when I opened up a support ticket, but I still experience the black display after boot up

Edited by The Gyro39, 13 August 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

Personally I would try to boot into a Linux distribution and see if the problem persists there.  If it works flawlessly it suggests Windows driver problems.  If the problem persists in Linux, then it points at a hardware problem.

You can run Linux straight off a DVD or USB stick, no installation required.  I most frequently use Linux Mint.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

Personally I would try to boot into a Linux distribution and see if the problem persists there.  If it works flawlessly it suggests Windows driver problems.  If the problem persists in Linux, then it points at a hardware problem.

You can run Linux straight off a DVD or USB stick, no installation required.  I most frequently use Linux Mint.

I'll have to try this once I get on my PC

#9 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

So I downloaded Linux Mint... not sure what to do from here.

Attached Files

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

Have you burnt it to a DVD or are you looking to run it from a USB flash drive?

To run from USB, you can use Universal USB Installer in Windows to create a flash drive.  Otherwise create a DVD from the ISO using Windows own disc burning features or using software like imgburn.

Once you have created your DVD or USB drive, restart the computer, and either use the manual 'boot options' feature (on many computers this is by pressing F12 as soon as it starts up) or change the boot order in BIOS to boot from the DVD drive or USB drive as appropriate first.

Linux should with luck just start up and land you on a desktop.  Ideally it will also find your network hardware and allow you to connect to the internet etc.  Just try using it for a bit doing normal stuff to see if the problem with screen corruption is also affecting that.  If it's dodgy hardware, it should also affect Linux.

Edited by jonuk76, 13 August 2014 - 02:28 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Have you burnt it to a DVD or are you looking to run it from a USB flash drive?

To run from USB, you can use Universal USB Installer in Windows to create a flash drive.  Otherwise create a DVD from the ISO using Windows own disc burning features or using software like imgburn.

Once you have created your DVD or USB drive, restart the computer, and either use the manual 'boot options' feature (on many computers this is by pressing F12 as soon as it starts up) or change the boot order in BIOS to boot from the DVD drive or USB drive as appropriate first.

Linux should with luck just start up and land you on a desktop.  Ideally it will also find your network hardware and allow you to connect to the internet etc.  Just try using it for a bit doing normal stuff to see if the problem with screen corruption is also affecting that.  If it's dodgy hardware, it should also affect Linux.

Also, does the flash drive have to be in NTFS?

Edited by The Gyro39, 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

No it doesn't. FAT32 is fine.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

So I tried booting into Linux via usb and I got to to the "Automatic boot in 6..." screen then once the countdown finished I got a blank screen, same screen I would experience before

Edited by The Gyro39, 13 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

It could probably be hardware issue at this point but there is no loss in trying couple more tests. Did it work based on your first post using the initial driver installed? Have you tried installing only the video driver by custom installation from the hardware setup wizard after removing all drivers using DDU?

Tekken

#15 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

Did it work based on your first post using the initial driver installed? Have you tried installing only the video driver by custom installation from the hardware setup wizard after removing all drivers using DDU?

If you're talking about drivers installed from the Gigabyte disc, no it didn't work, hence the black lines. I decided to open the contents of the disc instead auto running it so I could install the network driver. And yes, I've ran the DDU program numerous times and doing a custom install with just the driver. No luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users