Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spontaneous Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 svenskenr

svenskenr

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

I have a desktop computer with an HP Compaq cabinet. It may have been customized somewhat by the person I bought it from, but then he has dealt in HP products for years, so maybe not.

It has an Intel Pentium 4; the two clock speeds are 2.80GHz and 2.79GHz. RAM = 1.50GB.

It was recently upgraded by a clean install, (reformatting the HD), from XP to Win 7 Ultimate. (At the end of April).

The problem in question existed before the upgrade, when it had XP. It used to be less frequent but it is doing it almost every day now.

It will just suddenly stop what I'm doing and reboot. No BSOD with any message about an error of any kind, it just winks out and goes into reboot.

I have never been a "hardware person" so I have no experience with dump files or where to find them or what to find in them. I have a B.S. in computer science and have worked as a programmer - mostly with mainframes. I'm familiar with a lot of terminology and concepts, but not how to apply them to this.

One question would be, does this site (B.C.) have tutorials about debugging principles?

I would like to try to address this problem before too much damage accumulates. Windows is amazingly resilient, but the flip side of that is it may be working around a lot of internal disorder, and that may be why it is getting more frequent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

When the computer restarts does it make a series of beeps before it does? Also try checking Event Viewer in Administrative Tools to see if it can give you insight onto whats going on. Tell me if you find anything.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

What specific model HP system is this?

Do you have a legal license to install Win 7 on that system?

Louis

#4 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

(hamluis): Yes, it is an activated copy.

(Ste2ph): I did go into "msconfig" and the Event Log and there is a list of "Kernel-Power" events pretty well corresponding by time with the episodes I can remember. So it looks like the power unit is faulty and I am making plans to get it replaced. (Anyone who is about to suggest doing it myself - your good intentions are appreciated, but I have learned what happens when I meddle with hardware.) I think this thread can be closed, unless someone can really show that I'm wrong.

#5 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi svenskenr! :)

Kernel-Power events aren't a symptom of faulty PSU! There is no way for Windows to be able to diagnose problems with it. 

Please do the following:

Right click on "Computer" and choose Properties

Click Advanced System Settings

Switch to Advanced tab

In Startup and recovery click Settings button

In System failure section untick Automatically restart and choose Small memory dump (256KB) from the list below.

Click OK 

Next time when this issue occurs, check the C:\Windows\Minidump folder if there is a .dmp file created. If there is, please .zip whole folder, upload it somewhere and paste a link here.

#6 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Thank you for your response. I apologize for not responding sooner but I did not see the e-mail notification. I will try to set up the info you requested but it will probably not be during this week. I did not get around to doing anything about the PSU yet because a major repair issue with my automobile popped up and I had to deal with that first. (I caught it before an actual breakdown occurred but the intake manifold gasket was breaking down and had to be replaced. It is said to be a common issue after 100K miles on General Motors V-6 engines, and I was at 131K.) (If you don't use "K" for 1000 in Poland, I guess it would be 131M miles.)

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Might it be running too hot and shutting down when the temp gets high enough to trigger the safety sensor?

All is well in Paradise.

#8 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

(rockysosua): No, I don't think so. It was also capable of doing this during the winter months when it was in a room where I used a space heater, (gas central heating is a budget-buster), and I was a lot more concerned about the effects of cold between uses than running too hot while I was.

#9 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

(Pocket Pocket): (Update): I have made the setting change that you recommended so that it will generate the dump file. Wouldn't you know it, it did it twice in a short interval the morning I decided to get the change made, and hasn't done it since. "Watched-pot" syndrome, I guess. Will let you know when I have something to be looked at. Thanks again.

#10 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

I had the setting change in effect this morning at about 08:35 (EDT) when the computer rebooted again. There is no C:\Windows\Minidump folder and no "*.dmp" file anywhere in C:\Windows. (Not that a Windows Explorer search can find.)

Is this a Windows 7 capability you were talking about?

#11 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hi svenskenr,

Sadly Pocket Pocket has not been active since August 17th 

lets hope someone else will continue with this 

Good luck

Hedge

#12 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

Hi svenskenr,
Sadly Pocket Pocket has not been active since August 17th 
lets hope someone else will continue with this 

Good luck

Hedge

I'm still getting e-mail notifications, so it's not like I've abandoned anybody.

@svenskenr, I'll get back to you ASAP.

#13 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

@ pocket pocket,

Sorry mate  Nice to see you back(hope all is well)

Hedge

#14 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

How about making sure that the temps are good.

Download, install and run CPUID's Hardware Monitor and give us the results pls.

All is well in Paradise.

#15 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

@ pocket pocket,

Sorry mate  Nice to see you back(hope all is well)

Hedge

It's alright, it could look like I gave up. I'm just quite busy ;)

Okay, back on track:

@svenskenr,

Since the reboots seem to be caused by something else than BSOD, there is a possibility that the PSU cannot keep stable voltages and that's why the issue is occuring. But before we'll go this way, I'd like you to do the following:

1) Checking the temps as @rockysosua suggested, but with a bit different software - Open Hardware Monitor. Best thing you could do, is making screenshots from this program and posting them here.

2)  Press win+r, type in eventvwr and press enter. In Event Viewer I'd like you to expand "Windows logs" tree >> right click on an Application log >> choose Save all events as >> application.evtx . I also would like you to do same thing with the System log and save it as system.evtx, then .zip both of these files and upload them somewhere so I can inspect them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users