Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing Windows 7 from bootable flashdrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acrossx92

acrossx92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

I am trying to install Windows 7 from a flash drive, but when I select "Install now" I see text saying "setup is starting" for roughly half a second and it brings me back to the main install menu. Could this be an issue with the flash drive?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

A few questions...from where did you get the ISO for installing on the flash drive?

Review the instructions here How To Install Windows 7 From USB (Flash Drive, Ext HD)  and let us know if

you have followed those instructions or how you varied from them in creating a bootable flash drive to install 7.

Did you check to see if your computer is compatible to Win 7?

Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 acrossx92

acrossx92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

A few questions...from where did you get the ISO for installing on the flash drive?

Review the instructions here How To Install Windows 7 From USB (Flash Drive, Ext HD)  and let us know if

you have followed those instructions or how you varied from them in creating a bootable flash drive to install 7.

Did you check to see if your computer is compatible to Win 7?

Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

I'm borrowing the flash drive from a room mate who has used it to install windows before. I'm unsure of the method he used and being that it's his, I don't want to mess with it. I'd think it is okay because he has used it.

I can't check to see if windows 7 is compatible with the desktop because it doesn't currently have an OS. However, my brother used this rig for a couple years running 7 and the only thing that is different is a new hard drive. I've replaced the old one with this hard drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407805728&sr=8-1&keywords=SSD+hard+drive

Edit: Here is a photo of the flash drive's contents:

http://imgur.com/poxYqeM

Edited by acrossx92, 11 August 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

If your friends flash drive has proprietary software on it...meaning he made it from the files on his recovery partition

for example then you would need your computer to be the same make and model as his.

Another thing....only your friend's computer can use the key. You would need to have the key from the prior installed 7

or purchase one.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Have you considered a Linux OS? They are free and you can do most anything you can do on Windows except

run Windows platform only software. Gamers that play games that only work on Windows can find many of the

popular games work when Wine is installed in Linux.

Just wanted to mention that option if you don't want to spend the bucks for a Win 7 DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users