Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on laptop. Have tried some things, but unsure where to go from here

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 0motnahp0

0motnahp0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hello. I was given my little cousins laptop to fix because I seem to be the go-to fix-it guy in the family 

The problem is that the laptop "monitor" won't turn on. I have done a bit of research and have already tried a few things to try and fix it with no success in fixing the problem.

Things I've tried:

1- Power reset. I took the battery out and held the power button for a minute. I have tried this several times with no success.

2- Ram replacement. I took out the ram stick in her laptop and replaced it with my own from my laptop. This did not fix the problem. Her ram stick also seems to work in my laptop.

3- Hooked a separate monitor up to her laptop. This actually WORKED! I am unsure of what settings she is working with, but she is running windows 7 and it looks like windows 98. I don't think my little cousin is tech savvy enough to be running windows that way.It might be a part of the problem, or It may be my grandfathers' doing, but I dunno.

4- Reformat. This was a bad idea but worth a shot. The problem here is that my external monitor won't show the boot menu and only loads when windows is active in the first place. Luckily windows recovered from this attempt and let me use my external monitor again.

All of the help videos I have encountered mentioned more extreme things I could try if the external monitor didn't work, but the external monitor DOES work! the videos don't tell me what to do from there. Finally, I have come here to the forum to seek the everlasting wisdom of someone who knows how I might go about fixing her laptop screen.

Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Cousin Mike

PS: Here are her specs according to speccy:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD K140
    40nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB DDR3 @ 671MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 188B (Socket FT1)    51 °C
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1280x768@60Hz)
    DELL 2009W (1280x768@60Hz)
    384MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics (HP)    52 °C
Storage
    465GB Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB ATA Device (SATA)    39 °C
Optical Drives
    hp DVDRAM GT80N ATA Device
Audio
    AMD High Definition Audio Device

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Hi,

Th reason the screen looked all blocky is the resolution for the external monitor had not been set correctly.

It sounds like the screen is broken. There are a few options for you.

• take the laptop to a repair shop for repair
  • buy the part/s online and attempt to repair it yourself
  • continue to use an external monitor

With laptops the connection on the hinge often becomes faulty, which can cause this sort of blackout. But more commonly it is the backlight in the screen that fails.

You can find great "teardown" videos on youtube by searching the machine model number, which will show you how to replace the screen yourself.

I hope this helps

TsVk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users