Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to move several GB of files/data but I'm afraid of it getting corrupted.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

How can I move it without the files fouling up on me? You know how maybe you save a .GIF to a flash drive, and the .GIF runs smooth when you see it online, but when you check the same .GIF on your flash drive, it runs slower, or stops early?

I feel like this is an issue of poor connection when it comes to saving files to a computer from the Internet, but this can happen with moving files from one computer to a flash drive, yes? If so, how can I prevent that?

Not sure where a topic like this would belong, this seemed the closest choice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ssewb

ssewb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

I use ROBOCOPY when copying large amounts of files

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Just copy the file to the local drive before trying to execute it. It's not an exceptional amount of data.

If the data is very important I suggest making more copies in different locations as a contingency.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

it is likely that slowed down gifs on a flash drive are due to the computer being slower to read data from the flash drive than it would be to read from it's own hard drive, that issue should not appear once you copy a gif on a flash drive back to the harddrive. i would expect this problem to only affect files you are trying to use whilst they are saved on the flash drive rather than being actual damage to the files.  tsvk is right about making copies so just copy the few gigabytes of files on your harddrive to another folder on your harddrive, then copy this folder you just made to the flash drive. to test that everything survived it unplug the usb drive then delete the folder you just created from the harddrive(so the original hard drive copy and the flash drive copy still remain). after that do a few computer restarts for unnecessary paranoia's sake and then plug the usb flash drive in, copy it's files to the hardrive and open them. unplug the usb drive and check those you just copied from it to the harddrive are functioning as the originals did(no doubt they will be). those steps should confirm with absolute confidence that the copies of the files are identical to the originals. you can then make a second usb drive containing copies of the files on your hardrdive(it's never a good idea to let data be only existing on one flash drive)  after which you can delete the ones on the hardrive (if freeing up hard drive space is your intention here). another way to check is called "generating a hash" from the files, i'm not sure how it is done but a hash is a short code created be an algorithm which will be radically altered by even a tiny change to the file's content, comparing a hash of the data before and after copying should also confirm that both copies are identical. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

I personally like to use Terracopy when I have to move large amounts of data. It includes a verify option to make sure everything got where it was supposed to.  

I've been using it lately to help reorganize my file server on which I'm normally moving 100 - 200GB at a shot.

#6 GeePee29

GeePee29

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:47 AM

Use Robocopy with the verify option.

Used it for years. Has never failed me

#7 macjack

macjack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

Try this

Syntax
      XCOPY source [destination] [options]

Open CMD and type the below with your credentials

Copy a file: (example)

echo F| XCOPY C:\utils\MyFile.txt D:\Backup\CopyFile.txt

Copy a folder: (example)

XCOPY C:\utils D:\Backup\utils /i

Copy a folder including all subfolders. (example)

XCOPY C:\utils\* D:\Backup\utils /s /i

Edited by macjack, 10 April 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#8 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

I've also been using Robocopy for years for copying large amounts of data at work.   It's never failed me.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#9 adamforum

adamforum

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

+1 robocopy/rsync

#10 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:06 PM

backup the files into an image, and then recover to the flash drive.  In this way, I think, the files will remain untouched.

I'm using easeus todo backup freeware to make the image files. After making the image file, you can choose to recover it into the flash drive.

#11 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

ensure you use softwares with verify option. it prevents files from being infected or corrupted

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:35 AM

I just bought a new 4 terabyte Western Digital external hard drive and I will be copying about 2 terabytes of files from an old My Book. I have never used Robocopy, but I guess that I will give it a try. Any suggestions?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 AWhalen

AWhalen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

It's better off to backup through backup software.  Do you know why using backup software is better?  It is because it could verify if there is corrupted files.  When it see corrupted files, it could help you to remove it. 

Common causes of data corruption and loss include:

- Open file error (such as invalid file format)

- Power outages or other power-related problems.

- Improper shutdowns, such as caused by power outages or performing a hard restart: pressing and holding the power button or, on Macs so equipped, the restart button.

- Hardware problems or failures, including hard drive failures, bad sectors, bad RAM, and the like.

- Failure to eject external hard drives and related storage devices before disconnecting them or powering them off.

(particularly if it results in either hard restarts or data that is saved incorrectly.)

If you just copy, it's time consuming when there is file corruption.

I am currently using cloudbacko to do backup of files, outlook etc.  It really helps me ensure files are kept safe for my users.  It's free.  You could find it from softpedia or go directly to get from its site.  Base on some of my user's request, I could configure cloudbacko to backup files to users' free cloud storage like google drive.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

Well I guess it is too late. I did not use any backup software, I just moved about 2.5 terabytes of music files by just clicking and dragging from one place to another. Everything seems just fine.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

Post #14: Everything will have been fine. 2.5 terabytes is quite a lot of data but it's nothing which can't be handled by the same methods as used for smaller amounts of data. As a caution probably best not to delete the original version yet, leave it where it is and maybe try to test the copied version if you are concerned, but in all my years of computer use I have never experienced any file corruption from simple copy-and-paste actions. If you ever do feel concerned about copying huge amounts of data like this then split them into lumps of several gigabytes and copy those one at a time, if for example you have several folders adding up to the total then copy those one by one (I would guess you arrange the music files into folders by artist or genre, or maybe some other categorisation). But copying files is one of the tasks computers have at their very core, they are good at it, it's a really simple operation for them. Don't worry about problems when copying files, if there were errors I would think it very likely you would see an error message during the copying, and don't let such worries delay you from making much needed backups of data.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users