Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton "Email Error"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skeller87

skeller87

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

When I send emails through Outlook sometimes I get a pop-up from Norton saying there is an error. This happens randomly and to email address I send mail to a lot. It strikes me as odd that Norton would be giving me this message and not Outlook. Screen cap attached. I have run Norton and Malwarebyte scans and removed what it suggested. 

Does Norton give these errors or is it a virus?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hi skeller87 and :welcome:

The emails were delivered.

Open Norton, click on "History", and the choose "Scan Results" from the drop-down box.

Open MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and then click on History
On the left column, select Application Logs. Select the most recent log among the list, it is usually the one on the top (or sort by date) and open it.
Go to the bottom left corner to Export and select Text File (*.txt)
Save it to the desktop.Paste the content.

Thank you!

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 11 August 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

Actually there's nothing wrong with this.  When e-mail scanning is performed, Norton (and other Antivirus programs) act as a go between.  Specifically:

1.  Outlook connects to Norton (in this case) .
2.  Norton (in this case) scans the outgoing and incoming e-mails.
3.  Norton (in this case) acts as a proxy, and connects to your e-mail server and sends/receives the e-mails.

If you were to disable e-mail scanning, then the error would come from Outlook (in this case).  Your e-mails weren't sent, based on the message that was displayed.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 11 August 2014 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users