Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed to Start, System Repair Can't Discover Problem, II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 Kire

Kire

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hello,

I have a problem similar to this one : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/448339/windows-failed-to-start-system-repair-cant-discover-problem/.

That's how I got here :)

The Windows Repair Problem Signature
Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: Unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21199370
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 6: 17
Problem Signature 7: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1043

What happened

Computer is from the son of my neighbour. I'm not 100% sure what happened before the issue. Sometimes he says he reinstalled windows and sometimes he says he just installed a program. He has a form of autism so it's pretty difficult to exactly be sure what happened.

Normally I would just reinstall windows, but that might lose some programs and settings. And I'm afraid that will have an emotional effect on the guy. So I'm looking for a way to fix this.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Regards,

Erik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/544073 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

step2.gifIf you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.

DDS.com Download Link
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control can be found HERE.

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 Kire

Kire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hello,

Attached is a DDS log created with the command prompt of the system recovery options during startup.

Original Windows CD/DVD is not available (backup install partition is also lost), but I do have a DVD with a general OEM image of Microsoft and I do have the original product key.

Thanx in advance,

Erik

Attached Files

#4 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Greetings Erik and :welcome: to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.

===================================================

Ground Rules:
  • First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. :)
  • Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.
  • Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.
  • Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.
  • When you post your reply, use the Replytopic.jpg button instead.
  • In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the Followtopic.jpg button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.
  • If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.
  • When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.
  • I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.
  • Now let's get started :thumbup2:

Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.

Thank you for your patience thus far. Please attempt to do this.

Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool

--------------------

For this step you will need a USB flash drive and start on a clean computer.
  • Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive. You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC and follow the 2 step process below to enter the System Recovery Options using one of the three options listed, then running Farbar's Recover Scan Tool
----------

Entering into the System Recovery Options

Option #1

To enter System Recovery Options in Windows 8:Option #2

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
Option #3

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next
----------

Running Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool in System Recovery
  • Once you are in the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in Notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select Computer and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    • Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Under Optional Scan place a checkmark in Addition.txt
  • Press Scan button.
  • Two logs, FRST.txt and Addition.txt will be saved onto the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste the information rather than send an attachment. :thumbsup2:
  • FRST log
  • Addition.txt

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#5 Kire

Kire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hello Oh My!,

I really appreciate your help!

I did run FRST tool with the addition.txt option checked but the addition.txt file was not generated.

FRST.txt:

Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) (x86) Version:16-08-2014 03
Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-G9LKMP5 on 17-08-2014 21:02:18
Running from F:\
Platform: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (X86) OS Language: Nederlands (Nederland)
Internet Explorer Version 8
Boot Mode: Recovery

The current controlset is ControlSet001
ATTENTION!:=====> If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log.

The only official download link for FRST:
Download link for 32-Bit version: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/dl/81/
Download link for 64-Bit Version: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/dl/82/
Download link from any site other than Bleeping Computer is unpermitted or outdated.
See tutorial for FRST: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335081-frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

==================== Registry (Whitelisted) ==================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the registry item will be restored to default or removed. The file will not be moved.)

HKLM\...\RunOnce: [ehssetup] => C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Windows\ehome\ehssetup.dll",LaunchProcessInputFiles
HKLM\...\RunOnce: [wmssetup] => C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmssetup.dll",LaunchProcessInputFiles
HKLM\...\RunOnce: [iessetup] => C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iessetup.dll",LaunchProcessInputFiles

========================== Services (Whitelisted) =================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the service will be removed from the registry. The file will not be moved unless listed separately.)

==================== Drivers (Whitelisted) ====================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the service will be removed from the registry. The file will not be moved unless listed separately.)

==================== NetSvcs (Whitelisted) ===================

(If an item is included in the fixlist, it will be removed from the registry. Any associated file could be listed separately to be moved.)

==================== One Month Created Files and Folders ========

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the file\folder will be moved.)

2014-08-12 01:16 - 2014-08-17 21:02 - 00000000 ____D () C:\FRST

==================== One Month Modified Files and Folders =======

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the file\folder will be moved.)

2014-08-17 21:02 - 2014-08-12 01:16 - 00000000 ____D () C:\FRST

==================== Known DLLs (Whitelisted) ============

==================== Bamital & volsnap Check =================

(There is no automatic fix for files that do not pass verification.)

C:\Windows\explorer.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\services.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\User32.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\volsnap.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\codeintegrity\Bootcat.cache IS MISSING <==== ATTENTION!.

==================== Restore Points  =========================

==================== Memory info ===========================

Percentage of memory in use: 19%
Total physical RAM: 2013.24 MB
Available physical RAM: 1622.31 MB
Total Pagefile: 2013.24 MB
Available Pagefile: 1619.86 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1956.15 MB

==================== Drives ================================

Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:465.66 GB) (Free:456.17 GB) NTFS
Drive f: (DATAERIK) (Removable) (Total:0.24 GB) (Free:0.24 GB) FAT
Drive x: (Boot) (Fixed) (Total:0.03 GB) (Free:0.03 GB) NTFS
Drive y: (Door systeem gereserveerd) (Fixed) (Total:0.1 GB) (Free:0.07 GB) NTFS ==>[System with boot components (obtained from reading drive)]

==================== MBR & Partition Table ==================

========================================================
Disk: 0 (MBR Code: Windows 7 or 8) (Size: 465.8 GB) (Disk ID: 5914FB9D)
Partition 1: (Active) - (Size=100 MB) - (Type=07 NTFS)
Partition 2: (Not Active) - (Size=465.7 GB) - (Type=07 NTFS)

========================================================
Disk: 1 (Size: 250 MB) (Disk ID: 69686373)
No partition Table on disk 1.

LastRegBack: 2014-07-02 20:35

==================== End Of Log ============================

#6 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,758 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Please try to run it again as that log is important. FYI I will be away from my computer for a few hours but will look at what you have posted upon my return.
Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#7 Kire

Kire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'm sorry, the addition.txt is not generated.

FYI: the tool takes quite a long time (couple of minutes) during 'Listing partition... please wait', the progress bar is then also 'non-moving'. After a while, the tool seems to continue and is ready within a few seconds.

#8 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,758 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for your patience,

but I do have a DVD with a general OEM image of Microsoft

By this, do you mean you have a full Windows 7 Professional installation disk, just not the one that came with the computer?  If not, do you have another computer with the exact same operating system installed?

Gary

#9 Kire

Kire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

I do have a univeral installation disc for OEM Win7 that let's me choose which flavor I want to install: Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate (one as described here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/85813-windows-7-universal-installation-disc-create.html). The one I have is with SP1, but I'm not sure if that is exactly the same as on the pc though. The one on the pc is Home Basic as far as the product key on the case tells me.

No, I don't have another pc with the exact same OS on it.

PS: Í'll be out of the country till Friday. So if I don't answer within a few hours, expect me to reply sometime on Friday again.

#10 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,758 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the information and letting me know of the delay. Because of the state of the computer I would rather wait until your return before addressing it. You have a core Windows file missing and we need to be careful and deliberate in addressing it.

We will put this on hold until your return. Safe trip.
Gary

#11 Kire

Kire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

I agree, thanx for the help so far!

Note: Small mistake in my last post: The product key on the case is for Win7 Home Premium, not Home Basic. And since the log clearly states Win 7 Profesionnal SP1 it is pretty obvious the guy did reinstall Windows somehow. That explains probably why he locked up telling what happened.

I'll be back on Friday.

Regards,

Erik

#12 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,758 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hi Erik,

Are you still with me?

Gary

#13 Kire

Kire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yep

#14 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,758 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Great, are you in a position to start up again?
Gary

#15 Kire

Kire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Well, Windows is still failing to start, but the pc is at hand if that's what you mean :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users