Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD+RW Software

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

I really need to erase and reformat a DVD+RW and put another file on it.  Why is this so difficult to do in Linux?  I simply cannot spend all this time with one simple task, AGAIN!

I have tried Brasero and it does not seem to let me manipulate the DVD, in fact I don't know what this is good for accept to burn a disc, from what I don't even know.  It asks: Select Disc to copy,(well I don't want to copy a disc, I want to select a file to copy to a disc.)then it asks: Select Disc to write to, well clearly I got that selected as there is only ONE! disc available.  OMG!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Had to resort to Windows! via "Ashampoo", easily done.  I could not find anything to do this with in the Software Manager in Linux.  If only there were ONE OFFICIAL place to find this type of info when it is needed!  Linux, I am tired of scouring the internet to find this type of info. only to have to depend on the opinion of other users.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

install k3b if you can spare the 119MB

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install k3b

it has capabilities you may want.

I always

sudo apt-get remove --purge brasero

when I see it installed, myself.

Edited by pane-free, 11 August 2014 - 06:12 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

O my gosh, you are like a doctor, pain-free, that is exactly what I need.  Someone else also suggested this on another site so it is good to hear it repeated.

You are also suggesting that I remove Brasero right?  I was under the impression that is was not good practice to remove included software as there could be dependencies?  Surely I would not mind if it is not needed as it does just take up space if it is doing me no good.  I wouldn't think there would be any dependencies but what the heck do I know lol.

The other suggested was xfburn.  At some point I will just try both of them to see which one I like.

pain-free Love the name! lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

k3b is a great option & highly rated, I've used it many times & the media was created just as good as any that I've seen. In fact, have used kb3 more than any optical media software on Linux Mint. It required 165MB of space on the Linux Mint 17 install I just put it on (64 bit version). 

Did you also read of Xfburn here, on the page that lists many things that Linux Mint 17 users needs to do first? Instructions are in the lower right corner, in fact the last tip offered on the page. 

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-mate-first#TOC-Migrate-your-e-mail-from-Outlook-Express-in-Windows-to-Linux-Mint

I haven't used Xfburn yet, but have it installed on all three Mint 17 installs. You can always try both & see which you prefer. Have never used the built in Brasero, so can't comment. These days, am not doing much optical media creation, except for saving data. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:51 PM

purging brasero will not hurt

(caveat:  it's been a long time since I've seen such, but if a warning ensues the command removing brasero, abort it)

xfburn and k3b will reside peacefully together

not usually so, IME, will brasero -- it does not play well with others

hence, the removal of config files (--purge switch) along with the software

yes -- i'm free of windoze altogether now and hate to have to help my mom with it, even

Edited by pane-free, 11 August 2014 - 11:53 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

I'm about 90% Windows Free, but need to keep it to assist others, including my mother-in-law & here on the forum. 

With all the troubles she has with infections, I'd rather see her on Linux Mint. I believe that someone else in the home is using the computer other than her (really, how many 76 year olds are using torrent software). There were several items in her Downloads folder, including the Opera browser, that was put there after cleaning up last week. She knows nothing about alternate browsers, other than Chrome, which I installed & showed her how to use. 

I'll be performing a total reinstall on the computer near the end of the month & will run a Full disk image of it, so that if it gets funky again, can restore the clean image in minutes. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

What the heck is this then: libplayercommon3.0  I can't just go to the Software Manager for this?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Okay I removed Bresero and installed kb3.

OMG, I can't even delete a file on my DVD+RW? WHO WROTE THIS PROGRAM?  Sorry guys not impressed, won't waste any more time, going to xp to finish up my disc.  Can't wait till I can afford me some Windows7!

Edited by pcpunk, 12 August 2014 - 07:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

What the heck is this then: libplayercommon3.0  I can't just go to the Software Manager for this?

Networked server for robots and sensors - common functions  Provides a network interface to a variety of robot and sensor
 hardware. Player's client/server model allows robot control programs
 to be written in any programming language and to run on any computer
 with a network connection to the robot. Player supports multiple
 concurrent client connections to devices, creating new possibilities
 for distributed and collaborative sensing and control. 

libplayercommon3.0 : Trusty (14.04) : Ubuntu - Launchpad

Edited by NickAu1, 12 August 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Okay I removed Bresero and installed kb3.

OMG, I can't even delete a file on my DVD+RW? WHO WROTE THIS PROGRAM?  Sorry guys not impressed, won't waste any more time, going to xp to finish up my disc.  Can't wait till I can afford me some Windows7!

pcpunk look, don't let this get to you, you've came a long way, just need to learn a few more basics. Like you did when first using a computer. This is the problem with many Windows users moving to LInux, things work, but differently. If you had used Linux for years & never had known Windows (the case with the many nations, where Windows is a luxury or forbidden), you'd feel the opposite. Like "What's this Windows garbage?". 

Actually you didn't have to remove Brasero, though I don't use it, it's still installed, as is k3b (which I use) & recently installed Xfburn, which hasn't been used yet. However I'm going to try it next time I need to write to optical media. 

Were there any warning prompts at the beginning of the removal of Brasero? What I'm trying to figure out, is if your optical drive settings were thrown off. I've never removed it, so cannot say what it can do. 

Hang in there, we need to know what's going wrong. Does your optical drive play media? You can open DVD's with VLC, though if these has protected content, you'll need to add this by Terminal as shown below (copy/paste). 

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Source, look to the right of page, under 

Fifth step: enable playing protected DVD's

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/multimedia

Cat

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'm just irritated Cat, that's all.  I'm going through some tough times and letting all this stuff get to me.  I just went to XP and opened/mounted my dvd+rw and deleted the files.  I had issues with Ashampoo so ditched it, along with the junk that came with it lol. good riddens lol.  I then downloaded and virus scanned Imgburn from download.com.  Can't remember exactly what I did now but basically re-formated the dvd then (copied or whatever), the files to the dvd.  It took foooorever to reformat the dvd but it got done, and it was important info.  I was trying to delete files via one of these programs when all I needed to do was just mount the dvd and delete them, so at least I learned something, something very simple but never the less.  I get what you are saying about the Linux vs. Windows, but still there is no denying that windows is a little more user friendly.

I was trying to put some specific files to this dvd, the files had similar names-and were created in windows.  Now...it was difficult if not impossible to know which one was which unless in windows-so either way I had to do it in windows.  All done thank you!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

I recall Ashampoo software quite well, if you accept it, better get a bottle of Advil or a fifth of good liquor to go with it, as you'll need some relief. They once sent me a "gift pack" of any five of their listed softwares that I wanted, with no obligation to buy anything, around either Easter or Christmas a few years back. 

What a mess that was, their Internet Security was alright, believe that Bitdefender or Emsisoft was the real scan engine. But the rest was pure junk, yes the DVD software too, along with the Internet Speed "Optimizer" & the other two. I ran the Internet Security for a year & that was it. No more Ashampoo software for me. 

You can get ImgBurn, the one that I use on Windows from File Hippo. They carry a lot of popular Free Windows software. Like with any other place that ships freebies, just take it slow during the install process & make sure not to accept 3rd party crap. You do have to accept Open Candy software to get ImgBurm od CDBurnerXP, but the free version of Malwarebytes will get rid of the Open Candy adware. 

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Now as to your issue with Linux. Never accept too much advice at once & do not remove any existing software (such as Brasero) until you know with 100% certainty that the new one works. The software that ships with Linux Mint is fine, I just added k3b & more recently Xfburn, though still haven't use the latter yet, as just discovered it on the same page I linked prior. 

I get what you are saying about the Linux vs. Windows, but still there is no denying that windows is a little more user friendly.

OK, I'll agree that most Windows software is more "user friendly", with everything being a click or double click away, but at what price? From your postings & by your own admission of being infection prone, the answer is obvious, in order for Windows to be so user friendly, there has to be a catch & there is. The Windows customer is always one click away from disaster. Really good security software will catch most, such as ESET NOD32, Emsisoft Anti Malware & a few others, combined with Malwarebytes Premium as an enforcer to catch the rats that the other misses. 

And you have to run scheduled scans on Windows OS's daily. Not one of the two minute scans, but at a minimum a "smart scan" (Threat Scan with Malwarebytes), daily. Plus all the other things to maintain a Windows computer. Disk Cleanup, Defrag, Security Scans, Backup 2x weekly. And the bonus, you get to do it all over again tomorrow.  :P

With Linux Mint, most all of this daily maintenance is forgotten, ancient stuff. Yes you should to run some form of virus scanner for if you have an email client installed, especially any that you're going to forward to a Windows user, it's just the right thing to do, but still, it's optional. There is a ESET NOD32 4 for Unices (Linux) that I use, being familiar with the brand, I trust it. However, there's 100% Free options for Linux, some in the Software Manager. You should already have chkrootkit & rkhunter installed, these are for rootkits & in the Software Manager. And ClamTK, which I believe I linked you awhile back. This is good to scan the Linux folders with, but Never scan a Windows partition with it, as if you clean anything, the install will be toasted. 

And finally one last thing. You don't need to scan everything you do on Linux, though it's best to get most of your software from the Software Manager, where these has been pre-scanned for you & 100% safe. Some options like Google Chrome, you do have to manually download, but don't need to run a virus scan on it. It's also the only way to get the latest ClamTK (direct link for app). Debian or Ubuntu 13/14 DEB

Source of link:

https://code.google.com/p/clamtk/

When installing ClamTK, you'll get a warning that an "older" version is available in the Software Channel (Software Manager). Yes, they're right, 3-4 versions behind older. It's best to have up to date security apps & you can run scheduled scans with ClamTK. You do need to go into the Configuration of it (top item on the interface) & be sure that all six boxes are checked for scanning, beginning with "Scan for PUA's". Check all of the other options too. These scans aren't long at all. It's the Home folder, where your browser items, downloads & all, needs to be scanned. You should do this weekly, more if you download a lot, of if you have a Mail Client such as Thunderbird. 

Hang in there, most all of us, no matter the financial situation, goes through rough times in life. Money can get a lot of things done, but it cannot buy happiness, nor perfect health. 

Wake up every day & say to yourself that you're going to make the best of it, & do your part to make it happen. Having a good outlook on life & positive attitude are great virtues to have. Got me through some very trying times.  :)

All the Best,

Cat

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

So I can run mbam antimalware with avast?

I recently lost antirootkit from malwarebytes as it has gone to a paid version only as I understand it.

Yeah I know I should have not removed anything so quickly, brasero.

Yeah, I used clamtk the other day to scan a wallpaper that I was sending a windows friend.  Good to know I can do this quickly for my unsuspecting friends.  I guess the other two just work on their own as I was not able to access them chk and rkhunter.  Perhaps you could explain briefly how I should use these.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Yes, Avast & MBAM runs great together & yes again, I noticed some reduced function in the Free version of MBAM. 

However there's also a Free MBAM anti-exploit, that can also help with browser threats. This can be installed along with MBAM & is active anti-exploit protection. 

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

You can run rkhunter by this command:

sudo rkhunter -c

To run chkrootkit, run this command:

sudo chkrootkit

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users