Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is slow for absolutely no reason

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 violentVoice

violentVoice

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hello, my computer is slow for no reason. I am running on Windows 8.1 with a Packard Bell Computer.
System Specs:
Packard Bell
Windows 8.1 Operating system
AMD A4-5000 APU processor with 1.50 GHz
6GB RAM
( Please thouroughly read everything I am about to say )
I am at the end of my rope here as to why my computer is running ridiculously slow. I have used Norton Internet Security to eradicate every piece of malware, tracking cookie, trojan, virus, etc.
I have looked through my registry and manually deleted any and all useless keys left by deleted programs and every single harmful registry key from there and still no improvement. I have used the Disk Defragmenter many times but my PC doesn't get fragmented much at all. I hae used the Disk Cleanup to free all the space I can and my computer is really clean and uncluttered. It can't be the internet connection I have since this slowness does not affect anyone else in my house, just me. I have used the Norton Power Eraser and it detects some registry issues too but fails to remove them, however, checking manually, I cannot find and remove them myself. I have even tried multiple other programs such as Malwarebytes and CCleaner

So to recap:
Perfectly clean registry, devoid of harmful keys or useless software keys
No trace of any piece of malware/trojan/tracking cookie/virus, etc.
Fully optimized using Disk cleanup AND Defrag
No internet troubles for anyone else, just me so it must be my computer.
Also, my computer does not have very many programs or files on it at all.

Norton Power Eraser keeps failing

Malwarebytes and CCleaner prove ineffective

So, my question is this:
Taking all of that into account, what could possibly be causing my computer's slowness?
I just don't know what to do anymore and it is very frustrating.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

One possible reason: Norton. It could be a case of Norton not playing nice with your computer.

The only way to know is to uninstall Norton.

If you decide to uninstall it for checking purposes you will need an antivirus to install temporarily while investigating Norton.

#3 violentVoice

violentVoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

One possible reason: Norton. It could be a case of Norton not playing nice with your computer.

If you decide to uninstall it for checking purposes you will need an antivirus to install temporarily while investigating Norton.

Okay, I'll give that a try.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

In Windows 8 Windows Defender is a full blown antivirus.  When Norton is uninstalled it should activate.  After uninstalling Norton you can go into the Control Panel under Windows Defender to make sure it is activated.

@violentVoice

If you are going to uninstall Norton you should use their Uninstaller.  Follow the instructions at the website, all except the instructions to reinstall it.

Another option would be to install another antivirus, like Avast! free.  If you like it and want to purchase the Pro version you can find it on sale periodically for about $20.00.

Edited by dc3, 11 August 2014 - 12:33 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 violentVoice

violentVoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Okay, all of that pretty much did nothing.

I uninstalled all Symantec programs (i.e. Norton and such ) and then ran Windows Defender which found nothing.

I'm guessing that's around £12 or something?

Anyway, I've already tried loads of different types of software and nothing has worked so I don't really want to throw anymore money away.

#6 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi violentVoice and :welcome:

One of the most common reasons for a slow computer are programs running in the background.

Open Task manager and post a screenshot.

How to use Task manager
Verify that there is at least 10GB of free hard drive space. This available space allows the computer to have room for the swap file to increase in size as well as room for temporary files.
Run ScanDisk
    Double-click My Computer
    Highlight a local hard drive by clicking on it once
    Right-click the highlighted local drive
    Click Properties
    Click the Tools tab and click check now to check the drive for errors.
    The computer needs to restart in order to run scandisk without getting interrupted.

OR chkdsk

Computer or processor is overheating

Make sure your computer and processor is not overheating. Excessive heat can cause a significant decrease in computer performance since most processors automatically step the speed of the processor down to help compensate for the heat related issues.

How to use Speccy

So post the link from Speccy.

Installed incompatible software is also one of the reason.

Thank you!

#7 violentVoice

violentVoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Yep, I already tried scanning for disk errors using that method and that method in the video tutorial has found no problems whatsoever.

My computer is not getting hot at all anyway.

I terminated quite a lot of background tasks and just generally cut down the task manager, I have more space than I could ever need in there, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Edited by violentVoice, 11 August 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Define "ridiculously slow".  What are you doing with it that is slow?  Is it too slow to run say, an internet browser or to view a .pdf document using Reader?  Or are you trying to run something more demanding?

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Ok but what was CPU usage? I wanted to see processes that rise it up.

You must not end processes you don`t know or delete registry.Norton Power Eraser is not too precise in my opinion and you may do harm also.

In Windows 8 Windows Defender is a full blown antivirus

I liked this.

#10 violentVoice

violentVoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

By 'ridiculously slow', I mean it takes a long time to load a webpage. I pretty much can not load videos, even short minute long ones. Also, playing online games, I register a ping of around 150-300 which is terrible.

I know for a fact that nothing important was deleted, I made triple sure of that when tinkering with the registry and the task manager.

The CPU usage was around 10-30%, memory was about 30%, disk was about 1-10%.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

How are you connecting to the internet?  What results do you get from http://www.speedtest.net/

3682953583.png

Edited by jonuk76, 11 August 2014 - 03:25 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 violentVoice

violentVoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

3682958239.pngThis would be my result...No one else seems to be having this slow problem, nor do my other devices. So if it is an internet problem, it must be how my PC is receiving it? I don't know...

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yep it's not brilliant for a broadband connection :(  Sorry, more questions..

Are you connecting to a router through a wireless connection, or wired?

If wireless, how many 'bars' are showing on the meter in the taskbar or in the connection properties?

Also assuming it's currently on wireless, is it possible to temporarily plug the PC into the router directly (with an Ethernet cable) to try to rule out a bad wireless connection as a cause of the slowness?

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 violentVoice

violentVoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Wireless

5 bars

Yes, but it seems to either become even slower or make no difference.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

Is Windows 8.1 the original OS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users