Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error 0164 memory size decreased

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 educationfiend

educationfiend

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hello, I recently was completing RAM testing with some of our ThinkCentre M Series computers.  Once I completed the testing, I put the same amount of RAM back into the machines.  It functions fine and shows up in BIOS and Windows, but the message "error 0164 memory size decreased" simply will not go away.  I've tried removing the CMOS battery and various other things (there are previous threads with similar issues, none of the resolutions worked for me though).  Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Take modules from another ThinkCentre M Series computer and replace the RAM in the computer it question to see if this error message continues.  If it doesn't continue to produce the error you will have your answer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thanks Arac.

I tried this, but unfortunately the error message persists.  Any other ideas?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Thanks again for the assistance A.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RhRvXqcEUnMaVtN48G0h2gy

Although its probably obvious, I just realized I didn't mention the error message is displaying right at the beginning of booting in the BIOS.

#6 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

bump, apologies

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

I was out of town for most of the day yesterday.  It was late enough when I got back that I had dinner and didn't even turn on the computer.  Then Bleeping Computer had been off line for most of the morning, so I'm just now able to address this.

The Speccy is reporting that your RAM is running in dual channel, but you have dissimilar modules.  One is 2048BM, it is PC3-10700 (667MHz), the other is 1024GB, it is PC3-8500F (533MHz).

Are the RAM modules used in the other computers the exact same as you have in the computer with the RAM issue?

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that these modules are being recognized as running in dual channel. 

#8 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Thanks so much for the assistance, really appreciate it.

Yes, all the machines in my fleet have the same memory.  I just tried swapping the memory from each machines, still the same issue.  It seems making any adjustment causes this annoying issue, and i've spent a long time researching how to stop it with no joy :(

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Are the BIOS settings the same as the other computers?

#10 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!

I enabled "Configuration change notification" in BIOS under the Security tab! :)

Thanks again for your help, if karma exists i'm sure you have it heavily weighed in your favor being so helpful for free!

- educationfiend

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

You have more than one problem, what exactly did you fix?

#12 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

The issue of the constantly displaying error message (even though there was no error) is what I resolved.

As for the dissimilar module RAM issue, although this is the case, the machines are functioning fine, I am happy to proceed with them as they are.  We simply can't afford to purchase different RAM for the whole fleet sadly ;(

Thanks again for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users