Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing windows XP with windows 7 installed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harleyf250

harleyf250

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

I have a brand new Dell Xps with windows 7 Professional installed and I am trying to install Windows XP professional with SP3 to be able to dual boot.  I have already partitioned my hard drive and attempted to install, but have run into a problem.  As the installation begins I get the following message -- "File acpi.sys is corrupted" and it will not go any further.  I have researched this error on google, but have yet to find a remedy.  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

A couple related tutorials

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

You will be interested in Option 2

I always found it easier when installing Operating Systems to disconnect any unnecessary hardware.

(Printers, Scanners, Tablets, External Hard Drives etc.)

Just keep the necessities Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers Network.

#3 harleyf250

harleyf250
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Thank you for the reply.  I read through option 2 on the second link above and it doesn't really address the acpi.sys error, but maybe it has to do with the RAID, SATA stuff.  I'll see if I can get it done that way.  Thanks again

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

In prehistoric times I worked for Dell. I seem to remember that in the BIOS there was a setting for OS install mode. I think they did away with that in current systems. The idea of the setting was...

When Enabled The full system memory (RAM) was unavailable. Once the OS was installed and running, you went into the BIOS and disabled the OS install mode.

Quite possibly you may have to remove a RAM chip and try your install simulating the OS install mode in the BIOS.

The BIOS change was a quick call resolution back in the day and resolved the issue 75% of the time.

Also check for scratches/blemishes on your installation media unless you are installing from a USB drive.

Which brings up another option... Installing Windows XP from a Bootable USB drive.

#5 harleyf250

harleyf250
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

Well, it's not the SATA or RAID problem...that is for when during insatllation a hard drive isn't recognized.  The insatll CD looks fine...it's that darn acpi.sys error!  ASPI has to do with power management and it's very frustrating.

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Visit: http://www.pdffun.com/

Scroll down the page and find Anti Stress Kit.

1. Click and Download. (Read the warning)!

2. Print and attach to a solid wall.

3. Follow Directions and repeat as many times as necessary.

But seriously...

Another consideration... Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users