Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Computer Every 9 Months

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wog

wog

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:20 PM

i have to format my computer every 9 months and sometimes less becuase MS windows XP keeps on stuffing up on me erros like fatal error explorer will now close, it happens when i clik on any program or my computer. than i have to format my computer. ive got the legal version of xp. iv'e got a asus A7v400-MX bother board 1gb of RAm and 1.6GHz CPU.

any ideas y this is hapening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:24 AM

Do you use any P2Ps or download nebulous software, screensavers, games, etc?

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:30 PM

Installing and then uninstalling many programs slows down XP. I know because of direct experience. I end up reinstalling XP on the average of ebery 2 months or so. XP has to deal with poorly written apps that don't completely uninstall properly. Registry cleaners aren't able to get rid of all the leftover entries.

Reinstalling every 9 months sounds pretty good to me if you try out many downloaded programs out of curiosity.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

Are you doing regular maintenace?
Deleting unneeded files, running checkdisk and defragging on a regular basis?
Periodically scanning your hard drive for malware?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 wog

wog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:27 AM

sorry ive been busy latley.........no i dont use p2p..and yes i do Deleting unneeded files, running checkdisk and defragging on a regular basis?
Periodically scanning your hard drive for malware? i guess its not a problem now......i partitiond my HDD

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:27 AM

Periodically scanning your hard drive for malware? i guess its not a problem now......i partitiond my HDD

Why does partitioning your hard drive help in not having Malware?

Just wondering this sounds like new technology.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:49 AM

What security software do you run? Antivirus, antispyware, firewalls, online scans,...
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:52 AM

I actually enjoy formatting often. It seems to get easier and faster each time I do it, too.

Nonetheless, I format my lappy about every month or so, and my desktop every 4-5 months or whenever it gets infected with viruses. Just keep your setup files and important drivers on a disk so that after you format you can just load them back on the computer. Formatting can be good.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users