Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drives show in Bios but still getting "no boot drive detected"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teratosis

teratosis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

Hi there,

System: Dell Optiplex 745

Drives optical and HD show up in the bios, but at start up get two beeps and the 1-2-3 lights which just has a very generic error code definition.

I've made sure the boot order was correct, ram seated properly not sure whats going on. Any suggestions are much appreciated in advanced. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

If I received that message and the drive was reflected in the BIOS properly...first thing I would do would be to check the functional status of the drive.  You can do so by running the Dell Diagnostics package.

If all is well with the drive...then all is NOT well with the boot files...and I would try running a Startup Repair of Win 7.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-745?~srd=true&sk=Optiplex%20745&scat=sup#optiplex-745/diagnose?~srd=true&sk=Optiplex%20745&scat=sup&_suid=1407771546937006929807274221972

Louis

#3 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks I will give that a shot.

#4 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hello,

Take a look at this post: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19251857.aspx

Hope this helps

#5 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I was imaging a barebones system with no OS, turns out the Windows XP disc I was using was blank. DOH!!!! Used a official disc and all is well.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

:thumbup2: , glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users