Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading hardware (advice needed)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Josh5

Josh5

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

My current computers specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Kn1CQMUzI2YUICWYJP3507d
Psu: tx650w
Case: antec 902

I'm looking to upgrade and I don't have a particular budget but I am trying to only spend within reason - I was looking to hear some opinions as to what hardware I should be looking to get, this PC is built 90% for gaming and I would like to be able to play even fairly demanding games like battlefield on at least medium settings.

I have questions like for example if I were to get a graphics card like this

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/AMD+Radeon/Radeon+R9+270/Sapphire+Radeon+R9+270X+Dual-X+Boost+OC+AMD+Graphics+Card+2GB+Graphics+Card+?productId=61540

1. Would it be compatible with my mobo

2. Would it be good enough/too good for what I'm looking for

3. What other parts would I need to upgrade to keep pace with this, mainly referring to my CPU of course but also would my mobo be considered a good platform to upgrade onto.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:59 AM

The R9 270 should work with that motherboard given that it has a PCI-Express X16 slot.  Your case and power supply should also be good enough to handle the card.  Your motherboard and CPU are getting a little old, but they shouldn't cause any issues with this graphics card.  For a future project, I would consider changing the CPU and motherboard to a newer design, such as an FX CPU on an AMD 900 series motherboard, or, if you wanted to go Intel, a low-level i7, or high-end i5, on a Z97 motherboard.

Your current motherboard is designed for the older AM3 Phenom II CPU's, not the newer FX AM3+ CPU's, so your options using that motherboard are quite limited.  If you get a new motherboard, you will also need to get a new copy of Windows unless you are using a full, boxed, retail copy to comply with the OS licensing.

3939.png

#3 Josh5

Josh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

Okay well that sounds quite positive then. In regards to upgrading then, I guess my graphics card is probably too weak to deal with a lot of the newer and bigger games so I'll look to upgrade that probably to the one linked, however with the CPU and mobo is there age likely to effect my gaming performance much or bottleneck the gpus performance? If their good enough for me to get away with only upgrading the gpu then obviously that would be great.

But if not then my mobo would not be able to support something like this is that right?

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Processors/AMD+CPUs/FX+%28Piledriver%29+-+Socket+AM3%2B/AMD+%28Piledriver%29+FX-6300+3.50GHz+%284.10GHz+Turbo%29+Socket+AM3%2B+6-Core+Processor+-+Retail+?productId=52724

Thanks

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

The current CPU should not affect the GPUs performance, meaning you could upgrade to the 280X if the budget permits but in some games that are CPU bound like Starcraft II, the CPU will struggle a bit depending on the settings that is chosen in game. Your motherboard does not support the FX-6300 unfortunately, the only AM3+ CPU it does support is the FX-4130 which isn't a great CPU for gaming purposes and will bottleneck the graphics card.  

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Josh5

Josh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Okay that's very helpful then, glad to know my CPU isn't too awful as well. I'll just upgrade the graphics card to the one linked and see how things goes, is the 280xx is one better than the one I linked then?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Yes it's the next step up in AMD's range from the 270X.  Comparison here - http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-Radeon-R9-270X

They are both a good deal more powerful than a HD 5770.

Edited by jonuk76, 11 August 2014 - 03:13 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Josh5

Josh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

Okay well thanks for the advice, I went with the 270x in the end I decided I don't really need the improved performance beyond that and I'm trying to not spend too much anyway but I think if I got the 280 I would have to look at upgrading the rest as well but yeah I'll see how I get on with this, parts will be coming tomorrow so :)

Thanks everyone for the help

Edited by Josh5, 12 August 2014 - 06:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users