Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista loads slooooow, and won't go into desktop.......

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 M-train

M-train

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

This is on a HP computer with a 2.6ghz AMD Phenon 9500 processor.

4096mb/pc2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM

Nivida 460GTX graphics card, and a 650watt power supply.

The computer started doing this a few weeks ago. I ran a diagnostic check, and everything checked out fine.

I was able to do a system restore [although it took overnight] back to a weak before the problem with no luck.

Here is the question can I buy a hard disc of Vista, and reinstall it, and get everything back? I do have a external drive that was NOT connected when the problem occurred [last time the external drive was hooked to the computer was at least a month, or so before the problem].

I did try another hard drive from another computer running XP [the hard drive had the "blue screen of death"], and borrowed a hard disc of XP, and configured the boot to load from CD/DVD, but it didn't seem to recognize the CD player. I don't know if this is because this hard drive was from another computer, or not, but XP wouldn't load.

So now you understand why I'm sceptical about buying a hard disc of Vista as it could be money wasted. However, since my computer had Vista installed from the factory it might work, and recognize the CD player???

I would just buy another computer, but I don't know if my external drive would work to restore all of my saved info [pictures, songs, etc] as its all ran by Vista, and most new computers have Win 7 or 8.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Same computer on previous topic?

Tekken

#3 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Same computer on previous topic?

Actually it is, but I thought I would just start over to avoid any confusion...........thanks.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

No worries and if you need further help, the community is always here to support.

Tekken

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Several Options open to you,

(1)  If Vista came preinstalled, contact your  Computer Manufacturer and ask them to send you a set of Recovery Disks.

They should do that for a small cost.

(2)

If Vista came preinstalled, you should be able to recover your system from your system recovery partion...OR

go here .https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-burn-downloaded-windows-vista-to-dvd/

Hope this helps.

:clapping:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yes, Vista was pre-installed with no disc's, but the computer is from 2008 so I wouldn't bet I would have a chance at getting the recovery disc's [I wonder why they stopped putting the recov discs in with the new computers, heck, the discs couldn't have cost that much extra].

#7 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I checked out the link above, and I don't see the Vista product key anywhere on the computer so that's a wrap. [but, thanks for the link it was worth a shot]

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

Go to http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ and install the free version to retrieve your product key. :)

I also noticed that some of the files from the link that Bonneville provided are not available.  You can try this site also (middle of page) for download links that I know work.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

Even if you don't have Vista Ultimate, each image can install any version of Vista.  Just make sure you DON'T enter the product key (found from keyfinder above) when asked during the installer.  It will then ask you which version of Vista you wish to install.  Choose the right one to match your product key.

Once Vista is installed.  Activate it by entering your product key.

Good luck.

#9 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

So

Go to http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ and install the free version to retrieve your product key. :)

I also noticed that some of the files from the link that Bonneville provided are not available.  You can try this site also (middle of page) for download links that I know work.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

Even if you don't have Vista Ultimate, each image can install any version of Vista.  Just make sure you DON'T enter the product key (found from keyfinder above) when asked during the installer.  It will then ask you which version of Vista you wish to install.  Choose the right one to match your product key.

Once Vista is installed.  Activate it by entering your product key.

Good luck.

Sorry to get back to you so late, but I read the page in the link, but I don't understand how you apply it to the dead computer.

I do have a usb drive to load to, but how would I get into it on my dead computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users