Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two monitors died in 2 days

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 118 Vashon via Express

118 Vashon via Express

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

A couple of weeks ago the monitor (HP 2509m) on my computer (HP p6367c) died on me.  The monitor had a flickering problem for a year or so (the flickering would last anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour before it stopped), then it would only display (accompanied by a hissing/static type of noise) for a few seconds before going black (the monitor did not turn off though).

Afterwards, I used the monitor (same model as the one mentioned above) from my Mom's computer.  Less then 24 hours later it too had died (it suddenly turned off without warning and won't turn back on).

I tried plugging the monitors into different outlets with no success.  Both had been plugged into a IBM Office Professional OP 500 backup power supply.

I'm currently using an old CRT monitor on the computer (no problems as of yet).

Is it just a coincidence that both monitors died within a short period of time or is it possible that something else (like a faulty video card or electrical issue) caused the monitors to die?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

If these two monitors were of roughly the same age you may have just been unlucky. Have a look at this topic from the HP support forums. This model of monitor appears to have a history of build quality problems leading to relatively early failure even though its image presentation seems to have been good. If nothing else, it may divert your Mum's wrath !

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monitors/HP-2509m-monitor-screen-flutters/td-p/1210387

The fact that your computer is working with this other monitor suggests that your video card is OK. Electrical issues are a possibility with thunderstorms as the most likely candidate but you feed it through an auxiliary supply so that should counter any normal surge. And a thunderstorm close enough to overcome the surge protection you would not have missed !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 118 Vashon via Express

118 Vashon via Express
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for replying.

I got a new monitor (LG Ultrawide 25UM65).  It worked fine for a couple of days, but the sound stopped working today.  I tested the monitor on my Mom's computer, but still no sound (using a different cord didn't work).  Other than the sound not working, everything else is fine.  Is there any possibility a virus (or something on the computer) has been causing these problems?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

I'd suspect possible power issues.  Have you been having issues with your power?

#5 118 Vashon via Express

118 Vashon via Express
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

No known problems (at least not around the time the monitors quit working) and nothing else that's plugged into the same outlet as the monitor has experienced problems.  The old CRT monitor is still working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users