Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Terminator Finds Picasa To Have A Trojan?!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:38 PM

Hello all,

I just downloaded the new "Spyware Terminator" from the download.com site yesterday. My first full scan found nothing. I keep a pretty clean ship. Later in the day, I downloaded "Picasa" from the Google site. I saved it to my desktop. Upon trying to open it, this new Spyware Terminator identified it as Trojan/Ien, in this supposedly 'legitimate program'. So, I blocked it from running.

Today I downloaded a couple other things to test it out. No problem. I thought maybe I'd try downloading Picasa again from another site. Apparently, when I blocked it the first time I also told my software to do that same action in the future. So, now I can't even open this 2nd download to see if it's infected.

Has anyone heard of there being any problems like this with Picasa downloads? Does anyone have any feedback for me on the new Spyware Terminator? Sure do appreciate anyone's help on this one. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:30 AM

Unfortunately Spyware Terminator was listed on the Spyware Warrior website as a Rogue/Suspect program. Here is a link to that website:

Spyware Warrior

This link shows it as being delisted. This is important to note:

De listed Note

You can also find product comparisons on this website so that you will have a better idea of what types of commercial/freeware Anti Malware products are good.

I recommend visiting the following link for an idea of some quality AV and Anit-Malware products that are also free:

Freeware Replacements...

The following link is for a 2006 review by TopTenReviews of some of the most popular and effective commercial Anti-Malware products:

Commercial Anti Malware Reviews

The following link will take you to a 2006 review, by TopTenReviews, for commercial Anti Virus Products. This will help you get a good idea of what AV products you should be looking to purchase. Remember, there are also great freeware products that will serve you well!

These commercial and freeware AV/Anti-spyware products will help keep your computer very clean when used correctly. I suggest you visit the following link for easy tips to keep your computer clean:

Simple Steps to Keep Your PC Clean

Now to answer your questions specifically...I'm not sure I would recommend you stick with Spyware Terminator because of it's history. I also think you could do a lot better than that program using just freeware. It's effectiveness as a program is questionable.

I can't find any information that implies there are spyware/virus problems with Picasa downloads. Just be sure you are downloading from a reputable website.

I hope this informations helps you out :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

Thanks Harry83,

I certainly appreciate ALL the info you took the time to provide. I usually check apps out with the Spyware Warrior, totally spaced it off this time. Even though Spyware Terminator's been delisted, I will go ahead and remove it. Kinda hard to believe these folks would change their stripes for real, huh?

I'm just now going to check out the Top 10 Reviews for Anti-Malware products and Freeware replacements. I'm currently running:

SpySweeper (paid vs)
Spybot S & D
AdAware
Spyware Blaster

as well as the paid version of AVG A/V + Firewall. No problems in quite a while with this arsenal. I just love this site; you folks are SO very helpful. Thanks again.

Regards,

#4 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:39 PM

No problem I'm glad I could help :thumbsup:. You look like you've got a pretty nice security setup there and I think it will serve you quite well. If you have anymore problems just stop back and let us know. Or if you get infected (GASP!) then we, of course, have that ever so helpful HJT Logs and Analysis forum :flowers:

In case you were interested in knowing what I run for comparison purposes, I use:

ZA Basic Firewall
Symantec AV Corporate Edition
Spyware Guard
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Doctor (paid version)

I of course have Spybot, AdAware, etc. for cleaning purposes every blue moon, but the active programs do a great job at prevention and cleaning. I also use Firefox and Thunderbird as opposed to IE and Outlook.

Happy Surfing Eagle7 :trumpet:
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

Well, if you had SpySweeper on your computer at the time of the "trojan incident" as well as AVG, any "trojan" would've been detected, stopped, and removed. As far as I'm concerned, a combination of AVG & SpySweeper would give 95% protection at the minimal, but with the addition of your other programs you should be in the 98%+ coverage, so all in all, you look well protected.

Edited by Elendil, 03 June 2006 - 03:50 PM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

should've stopped, detected, and removed all malicious traces of Spyware Terminator!

It wouldn't have removed Spyware Terminator because it is a valid program and doesn't qualify as malware. If you read the links I provided you'll see that it's a valid program and therefore, another anti-malware program wouldn't classify it as malware.

It used to be listed as a Rogue/Suspect program but it was delisted...both testing phases didn't find anything "wrong" with the program. It was on the list because of company history. Would I recommend the program? No. Is it spyware? Again, no.
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#7 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

should've stopped, detected, and removed all malicious traces of Spyware Terminator!

It wouldn't have removed Spyware Terminator because it is a valid program and doesn't qualify as malware. If you read the links I provided you'll see that it's a valid program and therefore, another anti-malware program wouldn't classify it as malware.

It used to be listed as a Rogue/Suspect program but it was delisted...both testing phases didn't find anything "wrong" with the program. It was on the list because of company history. Would I recommend the program? No. Is it spyware? Again, no.

Sorry, my mind slipped and I was in a hurry. I've edited my post appropriately and I'm not going to be using this forum for the rest of the day due to events and my terrible line of thinking today. Please forgive me for my mis-interpritation and analysis of the problem it won't happen again on.
Stanford '14

#8 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:50 PM

No problem I'm glad I could help :thumbsup:. You look like you've got a pretty nice security setup there and I think it will serve you quite well. If you have anymore problems just stop back and let us know. Or if you get infected (GASP!) then we, of course, have that ever so helpful HJT Logs and Analysis forum :flowers:

In case you were interested in knowing what I run for comparison purposes, I use:

ZA Basic Firewall
Symantec AV Corporate Edition
Spyware Guard
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Doctor (paid version)

I of course have Spybot, AdAware, etc. for cleaning purposes every blue moon, but the active programs do a great job at prevention and cleaning. I also use Firefox and Thunderbird as opposed to IE and Outlook.

Happy Surfing Eagle7 :trumpet:

Hi Harry83,

Thanks for your vote of confidence on my Anti-Malware set up. I really appreciate that. I do have another question, tho. I'd heard that "Spyware Guard" wasn't supplying folks with updates anymore. Any truth to that? If no issues with that, I'll go ahead and add it to my arsenal. And, a note - I too, use FF and Tbird. I ditched IE a long time ago. They both serve me very well. Although, I've installed Forecastfox, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to set it up and get it to running. I looked for a tutorial or something. Any ideas there? Thanks again. Oh, and finally, does FF have any decent additional smiles/emoticons to add to Tbird? What they have really lacks, and for some reason, after I insert one I can't leave a space between it and my next word. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Eagle7

#9 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

I'd heard that "Spyware Guard" wasn't supplying folks with updates anymore.

I haven't heard anything about that. I went and checked Javacool's website and didn't see anything about it. As far as I know it is still supported but I could be wrong. Regardless, it's a good program and until I hear otherwise I'm going to keep using it.

The following link provides information about ForecastFox:

ForecastFox

Make sure that you uninstalled previous versions before installing it...also, you're firewall may be conflicting with it because of ad blocking. Are you having problems with the actual installation of the extension?? Or is installed properly but just won't work right?

I ran a quick search for Thunderbird Emoticons and I couldn't find any extensions for it. But here is some info about it:

Emoticons

You may want to post over at the Mozilla forums with questions specific to their software, because they will have better answers for you. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by Harry83, 03 June 2006 - 09:23 PM.

--
Harry83
Posted Image

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:05 AM

Rather than have your questions about Tb and Ff become "lost" in this thread, I suggest you make a new post in the Web Browsing forum. Many of our members use Mozilla applications, and they should be able to help you.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:52 AM

Thanks,

To Harry83, I appreciate the links and will follow up on them, as well as check out Spyware Guard.

To Jgweed, thanks for your suggestions, I'll follow up with the Mozilla Forum.

Regards,

Eagle7

#12 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:29 AM

I just downloaded Spyware Terminator on my older win98 machine based on a recommendation from another website. However, based on this post, I suppose I will uninstall it until further notice :thumbsup:

it's scanning right now, but has found a few "critical" objects..hmm I wonder what they are ....

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

I just downloaded Spyware Terminator on my older win98 machine based on a recommendation from another website. However, based on this post, I suppose I will uninstall it until further notice :thumbsup:

it's scanning right now, but has found a few "critical" objects..hmm I wonder what they are ....

I have been useing Spyware Terminator for some months now,and I am very happy with it.
I only use it as an "on demand scanner",along with a number of other spyware apps.
Their Clam AV I uninstalled,as I found it not up to scratch in my opinion.
I like it as it doesn,t slow my PC down, an does everything it says it does.
It,s getting better all the time. :flowers:
DSTM

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

I do have another question, tho. I'd heard that "Spyware Guard" wasn't supplying folks with updates anymore. Any truth to that? If no issues with that, I'll go ahead and add it to my arsenal.

Taken from Wilders Security Forums (Javacool Software Forums)

LowWaterMark
Administrator

quoting: Stereo_Type link=board=34;threadid=13138;start=15#msg112632 date=1072107513]My question is, how come other spyware detection tools, like Spywareblaster and many more, update frequently, but SpywareGuard hardly ever updates?

Hi Stereo_Type,

The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that it doesn't need to update as frequently. Much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. They work for many of the newer versions of spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them. An update is made when there are new items coming out that are not detected that way.

SpywareBlaster's protections are all specific - target for target with no heuristics. It must be updated to stay on top of any new spyware items.

Edited by tg1911, 24 November 2006 - 11:22 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:31 AM

Regarding Spyware Terminator, it has now been de-listed (however there is another rogue program with the same name so do take care) from Spyware Warrior.
Currently, I am conducting malware testing with anti-spwyare programs for my science fair project and Spyware Terminator's detection & removal is turning out to be one of the best. The real-time monitoring, though not part of my project, seems to be pretty decent; and, it's all free which is an even better bonus! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users