Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two "OS" drives after migration to SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shudder

shudder

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

I used Paragon migrate OS to SSD to move windows and my programs from a 1TB HDD to a 256GB SSD, everything went great the computer boots to the SSD, but after the migration windows Identifies to "OS" drives. "OS (C:)" and "OS (E:)" the C drive is the new SSD and the E drive is the old HDD. the recovery partition is still located on the old hard drive, so I really don't want to re-format it if I don't have to. Is there an easy and safe way to make sure that windows is only operating from the C drive? I suppose I can simply unhook the power to the old drive and see if it boots, but was hoping for something easier.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Take a look at EasyBCD. It is free for non-commercial use.  I think it is what you are looking for. Read the documentation. Make sure you select the correct Entry.

4782814638_8e066556f4.jpg

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Or you could simply do the following...

In windows Explorer Right click the drive OS (E) and click Properties.

At the top of the Properties window change the name to something like Old_OS. (Keep it as short as possible) Click Apply and Ok to close the window.

Now your drive should be identified as Old_OS (E)

Another option would be to remove the OS (E) partition using disk manager and create another storage partition for data.

Click your Start Orb Right click Computer and click Manage.

In the computer management window expand Storage and click Disk Management

Right click the OS partition (E) and click Delete.

You can now create another partition and gain additional storage space.

#4 shudder

shudder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Or you could simply do the following...

Another option would be to remove the OS (E) partition using disk manager and create another storage partition for data.

Click your Start Orb Right click Computer and click Manage.

In the computer management window expand Storage and click Disk Management

Right click the OS partition (E) and click Delete.

You can now create another partition and gain additional storage space.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and unplugged everything, opened the computer again, unplugged the E drive, put it all back together, verified it would boot and programs would run. Then took it all apart and plugged the E drive back in, put it all back together and did as you suggested. Now the computer is set up as I had intended it to be when I decided to add the SSD.

Thanks to both of you, I looked at EasyBCD and to be frank, it is way beyond my knowledge and skill level.

Edited by shudder, 10 August 2014 - 01:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users