Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid setup question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 manicpc

manicpc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Can you set up a raid with three hard drives, could go 4, with each hd having its own operable and useable OS? One hd having windows 7, one with windows 8.1 and one with Ubuntu? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Yes you can create a raid 5 depending on the controller. It is however highly recommended against using raid 5 since one physical failure can destroy the raid. If your main purpose is to install multiple operating systems, I would use one drive per operating system a use a Linux grub boot system to choose between operating systems at boot.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 manicpc

manicpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

but doesnt raid make them faster?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

I'm used to configuring server raid controllers for data redundancy and forgot about raid 0 for performance gains. Yes if you configure a raid 0 across 2 or more drives it will be faster. There is risk vs reward though when you use raid 0. The more drives you add the faster the array will be, but the life expectancy (MTBF) of the drives is less. I mentioned putting your operating systems on separate drives for ease of installation, you can do the same thing making multiple partitions across the raid 0. It all depends on the raid controller and the type and size of the drives (drives should match in size and speed for best results). Other members may be able point you to more information on performance raids. Allot of sites come up while searching but I'm not sure where the best info is.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users