Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi use PC. Components shortlisted, need opinion.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 agarwal29

agarwal29

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

I know there is no such thing as a future proof system but I would like to make this system as much future proof as possible. While I would like to make this system somewhat of a high-end, money do matters, so for example: in case of a RAM I would like to buy 8GB for now and when the time is right I would like to buy another 8GB and add to it.

While I would like to play games I would not like to make this system solely for games.

I know absolutely nothing about CPU casing, Graphics Card and PSU's.

I would like to use this system to build applications and Games for Android, web development and play some heavy games which will be released in the future which I can't already play on my i5 laptop with intel hd4000.

Applications I would like to use almost daily:
Eclipse, Android emulator, Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender, GTA IV (V if it ever gets released ), Notepad++, Firefox, Chrome, Virtual PC, Visual Studio, Action/RPG games( I haven't played anything other than CS Source but would like to test some heavy games like Skyrim and stuff).

Operating System I am planning to use: Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X(haven't decided the version yet) on Multi-Boot.

I would like to buy a 23 inch screen with 1920 x 1080 Pixels and maybe later add a couple more monitors to it or get a 32 inch Television instead.

What I have found online: This is just what I think I should have:

Okay, so here is the final list: (please note this is the price I am getting in India, where I live)
If you find anything wrong with this, please let me know.

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1600 Mhz - $110
Cooler Master Enforcer - $123
Logitech G300 Gaming USB 2.0 Mouse - $25
TVS-e Champ Media Plus  - $13
Asus 23 inch VX238H-W LED Backlit LCD Monitor - $250
Creative SBS A520 5.1 Speaker - $55
Western Digital 2tb Hard Diskdrive (wd20ezrx) - $100
Corsair RM650 PSU - $134
ZOTAC GTX 770 - $440
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) - $400
GIGABYTE Z97 - $250-300

Possible future upgrades: Additional RAM, Graphics card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

You want to multi-boot Mac OS X?  You're going to need a very specific hardware setup for it to work.  I suggest going to TonyMacx86 and reading up on how to build your own Mac before going any further if you wish to multi-boot.  This buyers guide from that site will help.

3939.png

#3 agarwal29

agarwal29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

OK, I didn't know that.

Thanks for your help.

Some people told be to wait for new processor, mobo, graphics card and RAM to be released later this year. Should I?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

Some people told be to wait for new processor, mobo, graphics card and RAM to be released later this year. Should I?

There's no real answer to that, but there's always something new around the corner.  It's the nature of technology.  It depends on how much you want the upgrade now.  Waiting may allow you to get current technology at lower prices, or get new technology when it's released.  Expect any new technologies to be priced at a premium at first (e.g. DDR4) as it's always the way, until eventually supply catches up with demand and price lowers.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 agarwal29

agarwal29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

"It depends on how much you want the upgrade now."

I don't have a real need to. I just need a bigger screen.

So, I will get a new TV, a wireless mouse/keyboard and connect it with my laptop to easily use it.

Thanks for your help though

#6 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

Here is my 2 cent thought. Don't wait for the next generation processor if you want to dive right into hackintoshing. It takes some time to get the general support for a new chip. Beyond that, double check the video card to make sure it will work in the hackintosh. I have found several brands tend not to. Asus tends to work well.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#7 agarwal29

agarwal29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Here is my 2 cent thought. Don't wait for the next generation processor if you want to dive right into hackintoshing. It takes some time to get the general support for a new chip. Beyond that, double check the video card to make sure it will work in the hackintosh. I have found several brands tend not to. Asus tends to work well.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know there were compatibility problems in graphics card too, I thought it was just the motherboard. Stupid me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users