Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vinni

Vinni

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hi All~

I was reading the forums the other day, when i saw this site from a member having some ram tweak, and i need that because my computer is on 256mb ram and it lags alot... i hopy someone could find a tweak/site for it!

Cheers,

Vince

Edited by Vinni, 02 June 2006 - 10:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

What do you mean by "Ram Tweak"?

Ram managment programs are counterproductive in Win XP and in actuality cause system problems. XP is an excellent Ram manager and does a better job than any third party program could possibly do.

You may want to increase the size of your page file however if you find you don't have sufficient memory, but using the page file is much slower than Ram, which is the reason the Ram managers are counterproductive - they push usage from Ram to the page file.

Win XP really needs a minimum of 512 megs of ram to really operate properly, and more if you use graphics intensive aps like complex games or movie editing.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 June 2006 - 10:21 PM.

#3 Vinni

Vinni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

Oh, i ment that i was reading some post and saw that a reg file something called "Care Package" or something, and they said it changes the values to make the comp run fast if you have bad RAM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:26 AM

If you have bad ram you need to replace it.

Overclocking the ram is not a particularly good idea - especially if its bad to start with.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

I can't agree more with Enthusiast ! Increasing RAM to 512MB or more will significantly improve performance all around.

Memory has never been as inexpensive as right now. But, you need to find the proper type for your particular system. This means finding the make and model of your system if you have an OEM machine (Dell, HP, etc.) or the make and model of your motherboard if you assembled the system yourself. You can run Everest to find out not only the make and model of the motherboard, but also the type of memory present.

If you post back with this info I can give you some leads on memory you can buy.

#6 Vinni

Vinni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:27 AM

thx all i went to a computer shop and got 512mb ram for my laptop... they tested it and all the rest... really pleased with it now!

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

Great!

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

One easy and free "tweak" is to tell XP to turn off all the cutesy sliding menues, fading windows, menu delays and other useless visual tricks that MS thinks that people like:

Hold the Windows "logo" key down and press the Pause/Break button. System Properties will pop up.
Click the Advanced button. Under Performance click the Settings button. Click the option "Adjust for best performance". Now make sure these 2 items are re-enabled: 'Show windows contents while dragging' and 'Use visual styles on windows and buttons'.

You should notice that windows and menus will activate and go away in a more "snappy" manner. You can always change it back to "Adjust it for best appearance".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users