Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yudell426

yudell426

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

O.K. guys, here's one for you.

I've had Avast anti-virus free running on my computer for over a year now with no problems. I tried to download a new program, which failed to install. An Avast error message popped up. this is what it said. the heading was "Avast setup fatal error"
                      "c:\part-setup_ais-ffffffff.vpx" (that's 8 f's)
                       setup can not continue

O.K....however the real problem is this dialog box pops up on its own every 30 minutes or so, even though i'm not trying to download anything. I can open the 'cnn' website to read a news article and this error message pops up. After a few dozen of these messages popping up all over the place I sent Avast Tech support a help request. It's been 2 wks. no reply. I resent the request again. After another  week still no reply. I deleted avast and installed another av program.Guess what? the error message stills pops up. Obviously Avast has attached itself to another dll, to create a shared file, but how do I find it and kill it. By the way a uninstall / reinstall of the program didn't fix the problem.  what's up?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.
moved from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Likely a file corrupted during download. The Avast! Uninstall Utility will probably sort out the issue:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Follow these instructions for using an additional remover and different (online) installer:

1. Download avastclear, Rejzors Uninstall tool and the appropriate avast program edition to your Desktop.Important Note: You need to be ONLINE during this installation.

2. Uninstall avast by Control Panel. If you don't have avast listed in Control Panel, go to Step #4.
3. Uninstall in Safe Mode using avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode to removes traces avastclear does not find...then reboot.
5. Once uninstalled, open Device Manager > View > Show Hidden devices and check for anything related to avast with a yellow triangle. If found, remove it and reboot the computer.
6. Install the avast! setup version you downloaded to your Desktop.
7. Restart your computer when finished.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users