Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

i have a typical dell Dimension 3000, with a 512MB DDR stick of ram. i read through the owners manual that was supplied to me from dell, and it said that I could put more DDR ram in there; provided that there is an open slot. is there any way to A: find out if i have an open port without opening it up, and B: does it matter if I use PC3200 or PC2700? any help would be appreciated.

thank you

on edit: i am running XP home edition, with the 2.8 gHZ processor. and another question, I was told that two 512 sticks process faster than one 1 gig stick, is that true?

Edited by purple frog, 02 June 2006 - 10:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:50 AM

To see what you have in your system use Everest Home 2.2. PC3200 should be backwards compatible to PC2100.
I may be faster but I doubt you can perceive the difference.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:37 AM

What 2.8 gig processor?
Is it a P4 with hyperthreading technology?

If it is, you need two sticks of exactly matching ram (or 4) if your mb supports hyperthreading (which has to be enabled in the bios) to use it.

If you use multiple programs at a time this will make your computer faster. What it does is act like a dual core system maximizing system capability and usage.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:42 AM

Your Dell Dimension 3000 has two slots for RAM, and a capacity 2024MB.

Aclan's suggetion to use Everest is good, but please don't be confused with his statement about PC3200 being backward compatilble with PC2100, your Dell will wants to see either PC3200, or PC2700.

PC3200 is faster than PC2700, and what Acklan was referring to was that if you had a PC3200 module in you computer and added a second module of PC2700, the motherboard will recognize the slower module and run at its speed, this is also known as underclocking.

If you use this link, it will take you to Crucial's list of approved modules for you computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:53 AM

The specs for the computer can be found here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1075776

You need to look at Everest and see what Ram is in it that came from Dell, and which processor it has.

In any case, you need Ram of the same ratings (DDR as what is in it.

333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM

NOTE: DDR 333 and DDR 400 memory runs at 266 MHz when configured with Celeron 400 MHz FSB processors

NOTE: DDR 333 memory runs at 320MHz when configured with Pentium 4 800 MHz FSB processors

And -

It also needs to be 128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB nonECC

#6 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

thanks for the input, and i will look into all of this. on a side note, i opened my comp to put in a wireless card, and found that i have 2-256 ram cards in it, so i would have to buy 2-512 sitcks to up it to where i wanted it at. thanks for the help.

oh, and its the P4 chip, that came with my basic dell computer, wireless card is the first mod that i have doen to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users